PlantFiles: Balsam, Touch-Me-Not
Impatiens balsamina

Family: Balsaminaceae
Genus: Impatiens (im-PAY-shuns) (Info)
Species: balsamina (bal-SAM-in-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Balsamina hortensis

Not Applicable

Coral/Apricot
Orange
Red-Orange
Purple

Chartreuse/Yellow

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

By Joy

By jlafara
Thumbnail #6 of Impatiens balsamina by jlafara

By Azalea
Thumbnail #7 of Impatiens balsamina by Azalea

Positive DonShirer On Jul 30, 2012, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

I purchased Impatiens Balsamina seeds from J.L.Hudson (he lists it as Camillia-flowered Impatiens). It is doing well in a difficult position heavily shaded by ornamental grasses. We'll find out about the reseeding next year. The colorful flowers are carried in an unusual position near the top of the 16" stem but underneath the top bunch of leaves.

Positive mfrench37033 On Jul 12, 2012, mfrench37033 from Centerville, TN wrote:

Has anyone else had a cluster of little "roses" come out right at the top of the flowers? Mine have done incredibly this year, just splashes of color everywhere!

Negative wvplantlover On Apr 6, 2012, wvplantlover from Weirton, WV wrote:

in wv we have these everywhere all colors, usually shade
where moist but have seen them full sun. most people consider them a weed. I a wildflower and useful herb (have never seen it fail for any poison ivy) external
I have never had it not self seed . have seen it in pittsburgh pa, and in oh as far as columbus
also have heard jewel weed (hold a leaf under water) and touch me not (exploding seed pods)
never a lady slipper that name as I know it is a terrrestial orchard unknown type

have a photo but do not know how to up load it or link it here

Positive puertorico On Feb 20, 2012, puertorico from Raleigh, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Stokes Seeds carries these seeds. Love these plants and grow them every year, they do come up from seed but only in their own area but are not invasive.

Positive bhymer On Jul 16, 2011, bhymer from Brooklyn, IN wrote:

I love these plants. A good friend of mine gave me some starts and they just took off. I didn't keep any seeds thinking that I could find them again and have not been successful. I have been trying to find them for three years now with no prevail. If anyone could send me some seeds I would absolutely love them. This time I will definately save the seeds! My e-mail is b.malik88@yahoo.com if anyone decides to share, thank you!

Positive MandyRose On May 23, 2011, MandyRose from Carrollton, TX wrote:

When I was a kid living near Pittsburgh, PA, my mom grew balsaminas in a big yard planter. We both moved since then, and whatever seeds we had saved got lost in the shuffle. We never knew the real name (her mother always called them "Lady Slippers" but knew that wasn't the real name). I happened to find out what they were by searching for "exploding seed pods" and was lucky enough to find a photo of the plants I remembered from my childhood.

We had purple, dark pink, and white flowers yearly. Sometimes we'd get interesting hybrids or unique colors, including a very pale pink and once, brilliant salmon colored flowers.

I do remember that we never had to go out and plant new seeds in the spring. There were so many seeds from the exploding seed pods that the plants came up on their own every year.

Although I no longer have our original seeds, I found an ebay seller who had balsamina seeds for sale. They weren't very expensive and there were more than enough to start some plants of my own. I'm now living in the DFW, TX area and just started some seedlings from a small greenhouse kit. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform in various spots around my house! :)

Positive Darmananda On Jun 4, 2010, Darmananda from New Iberia, LA wrote:

Grew up with these in Northern Burma. They were normally planted together with marigolds (also the tall versions) on time to have them bloom before the Nepali holidays (religious celebrations requiring a lot of flowers). I never knew what they were called in English but always knew that they were relatives to impatience. They tend to seed themselves on the ground over winter (birds will very likely get most of them) but my family always harvested the seeds to grow them next year. They were loyal flowers that gave colors every year. Today, they have become part of my childhood memories. Also easy to grow in our northern Burmese clay soil (they are goat and cow resistant too if you happened to be a farmer, although they won't stand a stampede of mating oxen/cows) made it these easy annual choice where there existed no such thing as a nursery that you can go and buy exotic plants that are already full of blooms.

Positive muskymama On Jan 26, 2010, muskymama from Washburn, WI wrote:

love this flower, and goes in zones 3/4. and in hot sun and drought. the seeds are hard to find. i can only find them at pinetree garden seeds. i wonder if they can be grown in planters from seed to maturity. i just moved to an apartment and don't have any garden as i did at my farm. glad to see other people love them too.

Positive sillybug5 On Jul 1, 2009, sillybug5 from Winston Salem, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Fabulously easy to grow and prosper! Beautiful colors, long lasting. I was sent some seeds from a friend in Iowa and planted them early spring and WOW! an explosion of bloom. Highly recommend this plant. I grow in full sun.

Positive Sunflower1888 On Oct 13, 2008, Sunflower1888 from Manassas, VA wrote:

I have loved these beauties since childhood. They are colorful and easy to grow.
Years ago I found a ten cent package of Touch Me Not seeds. I now have two yogurt cups full of seeds :) I harvest the seeds every fall and when I need a filler in my flowerbeds the next spring I toss down a handful and wait for the show. They are reliable performers and all that they ask in return is regular watering.

Positive gray_53 On Dec 27, 2007, gray_53 from Mcdonough, GA wrote:

The flowers are beautiful and unpredictable in color, but the real fun is in the seed pods. Around early fall the pods start to form, and they are ripe near late fall. When they are at their ripest, a gentle squeeze will cause the pod to explode with surprising force! In my zone, they do self seed, but grow best when sown. Anywhere that has partial shade is suitable, but unless you want to water them every day, make sure there is a close overhang such as a couple shrubs. Keeping the soil moist is CRUCIAL.

Positive timrann On Apr 3, 2007, timrann from Other
Mauritius wrote:

Balsams are the easiest plant to grow as far as watered regularly.Just throw seeds on the grown and here it goes after a week or even in some days for some. The plant's pic i've post , i was asking if it would flower but when it did it was quite a surprise. Quite big for a balsam ( at least for this variegated colour ).Don't even know how the seeds got there.Pity balsam plants does not last long but have many seeds on the inflorescences.

Positive IndoorGardner On Sep 1, 2006, IndoorGardner from Falls Church, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love to grow plants indoors. My friends say I have started an indoor jungle. This was my first little baby. She is growing fine and is about 4 inches now.

Now here comes the weird part. Today I noticed a Balsam has sprung up in the pot with my Sweet Pea Plant. (yes i know not a plant for indoors) Is this possible? It has not flowered. There is no way I slipped a seed into the other pot by accident. Wondering how it happened is killing me.

Positive Gabrielle On Aug 7, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Touch-Me-Nots are very easy to please and add a nice splash of color. If given enough room, they get very bushy. They self-seed themselves very thick, so need to be thinned to prevent them from becoming spindly.

I had a lady tell me once that in her native country they used it to color their fingernails. Can't remember the country (Oriental, I believe) or the process though. She was delighted to see them here.

Positive Robbooks On Jun 6, 2006, Robbooks from New Orleans, LA wrote:

i collected the seeds from a local park here in new orleans so i could try them. they grew beautifully in the spring. a huge bed of them in a semi shade sun area. i just spread on top of soil and kept watered every day. they got very tall and when a heavy rain came they all fell over on each other. i staked them but they never looked as good. i tried cutting back but that didnt help. i was wondering if i collected the seeds from spring plants, could i dry them and plant a few weeks later for a new batch of flowers? has anyone tried this with this plant?

Positive berrygirl On Aug 18, 2004, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I would definitely recommend these to anyone who loves Impatiens but can't grow the sometimes shade-loving, water- guzzling Impatiens walleriana. I grew mine in full sun beside my asphalt driveway. They will also grow in shade. Only had to lightly water every few days if no rain vs. almost every day for my "shade" impatiens. My granny grew these and they are a perfect no fuss heirloom. They do re-seed but I like the cottage garden look. You can always pull or transplant the extras. They do replant well if kept watered for a few days. Very attractive to bees.

Lady Slipper, Balsamine, Jumping Betty and Touch-Me-Not, all old names for a long-loved flower. Touch-Me-Not refers to the spring-loaded seedpods that split apart when touched and launch the seeds. Rich and varied colors of white, apple blossom pink, red, salmon and violet, some spotted with white. Listed in a seed list of 1820. Self sows. Tolerates humid heat.

Annual; 2-2.5 ft tall
Seed to bloom: 10-12 wks
Color: Mix
Full sun to partial shade
Soil: Rich, moist, well-drained
Hardiness: TA
****************Sowing Instructions*****************
Type: Annual
Depth: Surface
Flat temp: 65-70F
Sprout time: 7-10 Days
Tip: Sow indoors 6-8 weeks before planting out after frost or direct outdoors after frost.

Positive chelseatwo On Oct 4, 2003, chelseatwo wrote:

I bought my original seeds in Italy. I collect seeds every year and have had great results for three years running.

Collect when seed pod becomes slightly translucent, but before the seeds burst on their own. Seem to have a variety with light green stems and one with dark stems with hues of red streaks. We live in northern Virginia (U.S.) and have given seeds to my mother on Long Island, New York where they are also thriving.

Positive penpen On Sep 16, 2003, penpen from North Tonawanda, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Quickly and easily grown from seed. Planted in area of morning sun. Grew to over 4 ft. Even the foilage is striking. Comes in many different colors and really brightens up a shady or semi shady area in late summer through fall. A good plant to attract hummingbirds. Will self sow.

Neutral CDauphinet On Aug 8, 2003, CDauphinet from New Iberia, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Seeds sprouted from my mother plant, but once the seedlings grew up to about two inches, the stems rotted. I love this plant and I don't want to lose them :(

Positive Monocromatico On Jul 15, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

It was one of the first plants I tried, and it's a great plant for beginning gardeners. It grows fast, produces many seeds, and almost every seed will give you a new plant. I remember I had purple, pink, red and white flowers, and tried to cross them to see what would come next, but I ended up planting something else on that bed.

It has sugar glands all over the stem and petioles that attract ants. The flowers produce a very sweet nectar that will attract bees and butterflies.

Positive Crimson On Feb 2, 2003, Crimson from Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

Once you grab a ripe seedpod, you'll understand why it's called "touch-me-not"! The ripe pods burst explosively in your fingers spraying seeds everywhere. When my child realized this, it was all I could do to keep him from bursting every one! I found that single flowered has a darker green leaf than the pale green leaves of the double flowered. The bugs sure liked these, they went after them and left almost everything else untouched.

Positive Azalea On Aug 28, 2002, Azalea from Jonesboro, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Prolific re-seeder, loves full sun and is drought tolerant. Very attractive to bees, butterflies and hummingbirds.

Neutral JanetR On Sep 10, 2001, JanetR from Ottawa, ON (Zone 4a) wrote:

The original single flower has orchid-like blossoms.

It can grow considerably taller than 18 inches if the conditions are to its liking and the occasional specimen will become very bushy. It frequently reseeds itself.

Subject to mildew and other fungal infections.

Neutral Terry On Mar 10, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

The camellia-flowered form was developed in the early 19th century. Attractive, bright green leaves and camellia-type blossoms in bright mixed colours hug the entire length of the stem. This plant is a delightful old-fashioned addition to the garden. Provide shade in hottest climates.

Downside: it reseeds VIGOROUSLY!

Burgkunstadt,
Scottsburg, Indiana
Solsberry, Indiana
Wichita, Kansas
London, Kentucky
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)
Houma, Louisiana
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Dayton, Ohio
Willard, Ohio
Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania
Columbia, South Carolina (2 reports)
Greenville, South Carolina