Manarano Palm
Beccariophoenix madagascariensis

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Beccariophoenix (bek-kahr-ee-oh-FEE-niks) (Info)
Species: madagascariensis (mad-uh-gas-KAR-ee-EN-sis) (Info)

Palms

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Brentwood, California

Garden Grove, California

Murrieta, California

Boynton Beach, Florida

On Mar 29, 2015, JambaJungle from Boynton Beach, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I am a bit confused about the discussion on this palm being referred to a the non-window pane version. I have seen this palm for sale in south Florida from many different growers, and all juvenile plants had the window pane effect in the foliage. This window pane effect is lost as the tree matures. Here in Palm Beach County, I found my specimen required very heavy feeding, with high potassium and magnesium.

On Oct 9, 2012, 949palmnut from Murrieta Hot Springs, CA wrote:

I've grown this palm out here in Murrieta, CA and over in Fallbrook, CA and they easily take full sun inland and can tolerate down to 20 Degrees F with no browning. It's one of my greenest palms in my garden during our frosty winters here.

On Sep 21, 2009, HK22 from Sydney
Australia wrote:

This is one of the best cold-hardy Coconut Palm lookalikes. It and the Windows form and Beccariophoenix alfredii and possibly Voanioala gerardii are nearly identical to Cocos nucifera. It is very similar to the coconut palm, except being very cold-hardy and having small fruit, rather than large. I recommend this palm and the other three mentioned above to ANY coconut palm lovers who live in cold areas.

On May 15, 2009, bepah from Brentwood, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

John Dransfield is renaming the windowpane version and this will remain as madagascariensis.

On Nov 8, 2007, TropiSocal_dave from Garden Grove, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

This palm is said to like full sun if it is not too far inland and it gets plenty of water. My seedling went from greenhouse to pretty much full sun without any problems. Some say it is cold hardy into the 20's. Some parts of Madagascar do get down to freezing in the winter. It has yellow petioles which contrast nicely with it's green leaves. It is said to grow at a moderate growth. I say let's test this palm in different conditions to see what it can truly handle.

On Mar 20, 2007, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

though currently classified as Beccariophoenix madagascariensis, it is possible once the cultivated palms finally start flowering, it will be given a new species name... as it most certainly not the same species as the more common 'windows' version of this genus. Some are saying that more familiar form, however, will be th one renamed at some point. This palm is finally getting large enough in cultivation in Hawaii that one can begin to see it will be a much less massive palm, with a trunk only half the diameter, if not even less, of the window form. It is a much stiffer-leaved plant, with leaves growing very upright while young. The leaves are also much shorter and a deeper green (no yellowing problems in this species). It has been touted as being more hardy than the windows form of ... read more