Japanese Kerria, Japanese Rose, Easter Rose

Kerria japonica

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Kerria (KER-ee-a) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

By simple layering

Ewing, Kentucky

Fallston, Maryland

Marlborough, Massachusetts

Roslindale, Massachusetts

Dearborn, Michigan (2 reports)

Madison, Mississippi

Weatherford, Texas

Hampton, Virginia

Lexington, Virginia

Norfolk, Virginia

Smithfield, Virginia (2 reports)

Spokane, Washington

Stanwood, Washington

Buffalo, West Virginia

Menasha, Wisconsin

Porterfield, Wisconsin

On Aug 3, 2014, DonnaCarol24 from Smithfield, VA wrote:

I live in Smithfield, VA. It does quite well here. Does anyone know of any medicinal uses?

On May 31, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This species does not have spines or sharp edges.

On May 30, 2014, papa1 from Dearborn, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have three of these bushes at the back of my lot to block out the lot behind mine, whose owner seldom even cuts his grass. It is very shady there due to very large pine trees on the adjoining lot, which use up most of the soil nutrients in the area. I have planted numerous types of shrubs there but they have all died until I discovered Kerria. Mine have the double flowers. They have survived the "dead spot" for five years. Unfortunately, the harsh 2014 winter in Michigan killed off all the branches, which had been about six feet tall. I had to cut the shrubs to the ground. Fortunately, new shoots are growing out of the ground and they are three feet tall already. Hopefully the shrubs will quickly gain their sightline blocking size. My experience with this plant is still positive du... read more

On Jan 26, 2013, Plantedz from Marlborough, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I was given a kerria by a good gardening friend of mine. It has performed wonderfully for me. It is the first to shrub to bloom in the spring and I usually get a second blooming from it! It's located in a semi-shady spot and is a great performer.

On Oct 24, 2012, cindyvog from Martinsville, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

Transplants quite easily. Benefits from light pruning after flowering. Golden Guineas in damp shade are happier, fuller and bloom more over dry shade in my Zone 5b.

On May 17, 2011, Munga from Weatherford, TX wrote:

My Kerria Japonica has double bloom carnation-like flowers. The flowers are about the size of a quarter and very attractive. The flowers do not resemble the photos offered on this page so I must have the pleniflora variety. The ones in the photos here must be the rosaceae. The shrub has a tendency to look a bit "leggy" at times, but often it will rebloom in the summer and early fall which is a plus. The "weepy" branches will make this shrub very wide, so I've had to move mine from an area near a walkway to a spot where it is the center of attention among white flowering shamrocks. It would look gorgeous surrounded by yellow daylilies. It is growing well in dappled shade/full shade and doesn't receive direct sunlight at all. It seems to like our North Central Texas heat and drought.

On Apr 19, 2011, delbertyoung56m from Medina, NY wrote:

Saw this plant growing in the city of Seoul, South Korea on a hillside just outside of the military base called Yongsan. I identified it in a Korean botany book, wrote down the latin name and bought one as soon as I got home. I planted it in almost full shade on a hill beside the driveway, and it now arches over the stones creating a lovely cover. Mine is the single flowering variety which in my opinion better than any double or varigated variety out there. The yellow flowers, against the dark green foliage, under my large dark black locust tree are quite nice to see, and brighten up the area. I only prune the dead stuff, or extremely long branches to keep it tidy. Easy to divide. Just stab a spade down the center of the root ball area and take a section out and plant right away in ... read more

On Apr 12, 2011, Omegatop from Hampton, VA wrote:

This plant is misidentified in this profile. Even the pics are wrong. It has no thorns. Check this link for the real info and pic of this plant: http://landscaping.about.com/od/shrubsbushes/p/japanese_rose...

On Mar 24, 2011, jazzy1okc from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

I sited this plant between the roots of a huge elm tree so that it would have shade most of the day. It blooms beautifully in the early spring, but often has end of branch die back. I trim off the winter killed branch tips in late winter, just as it begins leafing out. Then I shape it after it blooms. It does need deep watering once a week during drought, but other than that is a lovely shrub that takes over when the flowering quince is almost finished and before most other shrubs leaf out.

On Oct 22, 2006, winging from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I think this is a lovely shrub when in bloom, but I'm not nuts about the foliage. I'm probably biased about it, though, since it was a huge, out-of-control monster when we first moved into this home. Seriously out of control. It was about 8' X 6'. My husband "took it down", but it took some doing to deal with all the seedlings or perhaps re-growth from left-over roots that kept appearing.

So it seems to be quite easy to grow, at least in my zone (6a). I'd probably rate it positive for that aspect if I liked the plant better.

On Oct 21, 2006, jroot from Rockwood, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

A really pretty plant, that grows well, here in Southern Ontario. However, the rabbits really like to chew on it during the winter, so it needs protections.

On Dec 9, 2005, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

My 'Golden Guinea' flowers in full shade, which is it's best feature. The foliage is a bit rough.

On Oct 30, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Wonderful shrub with branches that stay green throughout the winter and add interest to the stark landscape. In spring the bush is covered over with yellow flowers.

This shrub prefers partial to full shade and well drained soil. I find that I need to prune the branches back after flowering each year to keep it neat. Don't prune late as you will cause it not to flower the next year (found that out the hard way).

I get a lot of comments from visitors who see this shrub in full bloom - really lovely!

On May 27, 2002, BrianFromMaine wrote:

This is the simplest ever to grow.
I am from Maine and even our winters haven't killed it yet!

On Mar 10, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Deciduous shrub forms dense mounds of slender green stems that are attractive even in the winter. Oval shaped leaves appear in time to provide a backdrop to bright yellow flowers covering the shrub in early spring.

Plant in well-draining soil amended with humus or compost. Fertilize in spring. Prune out a couple of the older shoots every winter to maintain its shape.