PlantFiles: Mountain Misery
Chamaebatia foliolosa

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Chamaebatia (kam-ay-BAY-tee-uh) (Info)
Species: foliolosa (foh-lee-oh-LOH-suh) (Info)

Synonym:Chamaebatiaria foliolosa

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Groundcovers

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Pale Yellow

Aromatic
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

This plant is resistant to deer

4.5 or below (very acidic)
4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)
5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By growin
Thumbnail #1 of Chamaebatia foliolosa by growin

By growin
Thumbnail #2 of Chamaebatia foliolosa by growin

Neutral mrs_colla On Jul 3, 2014, mrs_colla from Marin, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

My rating is neutral, because I don't grow this plant. We just spent a summer week in Yosemite, and I have been miserable indeed. I find the smell absolutely nauseating, intolerably so...

Positive pkiler On Aug 4, 2008, pkiler from Menifee, CA wrote:

I'd like to find someone refining the resin exudate into an essential oil, for fragrance usage. Does any one know someone doing this? Or maybe someone *willing* to do this, with access to the plant?

Please email me at:
paul{dot}kiler{at}gmail{dot}com

Thanks,
Paul

Positive peachespickett On Mar 23, 2007, peachespickett from Huntington, AR wrote:

I'm adding this plant because it is a favorite memory of mine growing up in the California foothills. We called it Mountain Misery, but I believe the Native American word for it is kit-kit-dizze. I know it as a spreading groundcover (stoloniferous maybe) beneath oaks in dry shade, about two feet tall, in zone 7 where we never (that I can recall) dropped below 20F. The foliage is pungent, hard to describe, a little like deerbrush (ceanothus interrigimus) flowers maybe, but dry and kind of musky. The leaves are also sticky and thick, almost gummy, hairy and somewhat fernlike and quite similiar to desert fernbush (chamaebatiaria millefolium) but smaller . If you ever walk through the hills of the Gold Country you'll come across this plant eventually, with interior live, blue,canyon,and black oaks, digger pines, buckbrush, and manzanita.