PlantFiles: Azalea, Native Azalea Hybrid
Rhododendron 'Summer Lyric'

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhododendron (roh-do-DEN-dron) (Info)
Cultivar: Summer Lyric
Additional cultivar information: ( 'Maid in the Shade' series)
Hybridized by Beasley (Transplant Nursery); Year of Registration or Introduction: 1999

» View all varieties of Azaleas and Rhododendrons

Pale Yellow

Positive roalber On Sep 29, 2009, roalber from Kalamazoo, MI wrote:

I've been growing this deciduous azalea for almost 20 yrs. It's a very dependable bloomer and does do well in moderate shade. It is the LAST azalea or rhodo. to bloom in my garden, usually in full bloom from early to mid August. Nice soft peachy colored flowers.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 25, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

(NOTE: I am tickled pink to discover these azaleas. They were bred about 1 hour north of me in Lavonia Georgia! I have not grown these yet but am so excited to present the info here. I read that these can be found locally in the big box stores. I will def. be looking for them. I went to the nursery website but couldn't get any info on the azaleas).
**********************************************************************

Maid in the Shade azaleas. Most deciduous azaleas do well in full sun and frequently are poor bloomers in the shade. "Maid in the Shade" deciduous azaleas is a collection of deciduous azaleas compiled by Transplant Nursery (Lavonia, Ga) selected to do well in shadier locations. They include:

'Summer Lyric' - Flowers are a mix of pink with yellow throats.
'Lisa's Gold' - Golden-yellow flowers.
'Camilla's Blush' - Blushing pink blooms that hummingbirds find irresistible.
'Kelsey's Flame' - Bright yellow and orange flowers.
'Lavender Girl' - Pale lavender flowers
'My Mary' - Pale yellow flowers, named as a tribute from George Beasley to his wife Mary.
'Rosy Cheeks' - Dark rose flowers with golden throats. Its fragrance can rival that of a rose.
'Nacoochee Princess' - Regal white flowers that are tinged with pink.

Kalamazoo, Michigan