Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Azalea, Native Azalea Hybrid 'Lisa's Gold'

Rhododendron

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhododendron (roh-do-DEN-dron) (Info)
Cultivar: Lisa's Gold
Additional cultivar information:(Maid in the Shade series)
Hybridized by Beasley (Transplant Nursery)
Registered or introduced: 1999

Avondale Estates, Georgia

Marietta, Georgia

positive

On Mar 31, 2016, SteffofAvondale from Avondale Estates, GA wrote:

I bought my Lisa's Gold hybrid from Pike's in Atlanta 3 or 4 years ago. Last year, first bloom, only a few blossoms. This year it's covered with buds, and they're beginning to open now (end of March), with all the other azaleas. The buds are red and gold-- red like a peach at the pit, and the blossoms are peachy golden. Gorgeous! Looks fabulous surrounded by purples and blues -- violets, anemone blanda, woodland phlox, grape hyacinth, and Spanish bluebells-- at its feet. Two years ago it had one tall shoot looming above the rest, so I bent it down, scratched it where it made contact with the soil, and put a brick on it. It rooted quickly. Now I have a few small plants ready to redistribute in my garden. Mine gets full morning sun, then shade after about 1 PM, and it seems quite happy. As a... read more

On Mar 25, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

(NOTE: I am tickled pink to discover these azaleas. They were bred about 1 hour north of me in Lavonia Georgia! I have not grown these yet but am so excited to present the info here. I read that these can be found locally in the big box stores. I will def. be looking for them. I went to the nursery website but couldn't get any info on the azaleas).
**********************************************************************

Maid in the Shade azaleas. Most deciduous azaleas do well in full sun and frequently are poor bloomers in the shade. "Maid in the Shade" deciduous azaleas is a collection of deciduous azaleas compiled by Transplant Nursery (Lavonia, Ga) selected to do well in shadier locations. They include:

'Summer Lyric' - Flowers are a mix of pink with ... read more