European Filbert, Hazelnut 'Red Majestic'

Corylus avellana

Family: Betulaceae (beh-tyoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Corylus (KOR-ih-lus) (Info)
Species: avellana (av-el-AY-nuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Majestic
Additional cultivar information:(PP16048)
Hybridized by De Vries
Registered or introduced: 2004

Grow outdoors year-round

Good Fall Color

Provides winter interest

By grafting

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Ketchikan, Alaska

Pepperell, Massachusetts

West Brookfield, Massachusetts

Litchfield, New Hampshire

Salem, Oregon

Bainbridge Island, Washington

On Jul 21, 2013, Sandra13 from Sacramento, CA wrote:

I could not find this plant in any local nursery. I ended up ordering it from a nursery in Oregon. I know that it is a zone 4 plant but I have a green Corylus Contorta and wanted to have this Red Majestic. I have a shady spot with dappled morning sun here in Sacramento. I will let you know how it does. Our Summers can climb to over 100 on occasion but I live in an area that receives cooling delta breezes in the late afternoon. I'll plant it in my Northwest facing garden in the Fall and that should give it a good headstart. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know as my plants are like my kids,well loved.

On Jul 3, 2013, seephotoid from Ketchikan, AK wrote:

I have two of these amazing plants and just love how they give contrast to the garden with or without leaves. I live in Ketchikan, Alaska which is located on the Southeast Panhandle of the state with a maritime climate and pretty mild winters. This plant was growing in large containers under a canopy at a commercial business where they got full to partial sun and little water. I "rescued" them and as soon as I re-planted them at my home, gave them plenty of water, and fertilized them, they established quite well and showed signs of hydration in no time.

On Oct 23, 2009, wha from Pepperell, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

i purchased this at box store and it is grafted. Great tree with multiple season interest. If possible get one that is not grafted. I periodically need to trim out the green shots from the base of the tree.

On Jul 14, 2009, Dodsky from Smiths Grove, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Purchased a 4 gallon plant in late spring 2009 on clearance reduced from $60 to $20. C. 'Red Majestic' has very contorted branches like the standard plain green-leaved "contorta." Vigorous grower. The foliage is quite attractive, especially due to the red-purple-dark green coloration. As with most Corylus, Japanese beetles find the foliage attractive as a meal and they have skeletonized some of the leaves but the plant is still growing well. I'm looking forward to seeing the plant mature and what it has to offer each season. Fall color is supposed to be good, and the contorted branches should make for an interesting focal point during the winter.

On Mar 29, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a HYBRID of c. avella 'Contorta' and c. maxima purpurea. New foliage is deep purple turning red-green in summer and rich burgundy in fall.
I have saw height listed at 3-5 ft. and also 10-12 ft.