PlantFiles: Canterbury Bells
Campanula medium

Family: Campanulaceae (kam-pan-yew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Campanula (kam-PAN-yoo-luh) (Info)
Species: medium (MEED-ee-um) (Info)

Biennials

Thumbnail #6 of Campanula medium by emilyrasmus

By Kim_M
Thumbnail #7 of Campanula medium by Kim_M

Positive ewilliams207 On Aug 6, 2012, ewilliams207 from Mount Vision, NY wrote:

With regard to the negative comment above, you evidently got the type of plant that spreads aggressively. Not all Canterbury Bells spread, though. I unwittingly ordered one that's aggressive, and nowhere in the description was this mentioned. Lucky for me, I keep a raised bed for trying out new plants so I can see exactly what they will do so I can find the best place for them. This one just zoomed all the way across one end of the bed it's first year-not even it's blooming year! So I put it where it could stretch out all it wanted--in and around a bunch of ferns and lungwort. So I love it.

Positive TiaLee1 On Aug 6, 2012, TiaLee1 from Rathdrum, ID (Zone 5b) wrote:

The campanula that I have has a double bloom in sky blue. It blooms profusely, but does need deadheading to keep those blooms coming. This year, I even cut the plant back by half after the first flush and now, shorter, it is blooming more than ever. It gets about 25-30 inches. It is planted in a large raised bed with a crab apple in the middle. The soil is only so-so. Very rocky and sandy. (I am working on it) Lots of sun almost all day. Definitely recommend.

Negative JenDion On Jun 27, 2012, JenDion from Litchfield, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have these planted in full sun (like 10+ hours of direct sun w/o shade) in irrigated flower beds alongside my veg garden. I found these to be well behaved the first year, but this year they spread out and sprawled all over their neighbors. It is possible the soil is too rich as I do use compost and manure in my beds. The stems are also very brittle, so that as I am attempting to mulch, weed or contain these plants whole stems break off. Pretty but disappointing.

Positive annlof On May 27, 2011, annlof from Camarillo, CA wrote:

New flower buds often form right at the base of the first flowers. So if you snip off each spent bloom individually more blooms will develop. It's time-consuming but worth it -- these plants can keep going for months.

Positive Kamlhj On May 24, 2011, Kamlhj from Baltimore, MD (Zone 7b) wrote:

My favorite plant! After several yrs of trying, my best results were to scatter seeds in garden around July or Aug, separate about 6" apart in early Oct, cover with leaves to over-winter, & then divide once again in late April to 2' apart. I had to keep them moist that 1st year but they can endure it slightly dry the 2nd (blooming) year. They like good soil & a slight amt of fertilizer. They often need to be supported.
They grow beautiful in the mid-atlantic region. Shades of white, pink,light blue, & dark blue-purple I have seen, with an occasional in-between mix.
When grown in the garden, people are amazed because most have never seen them before ( some even think they are not real because they look so good).
In short, if you have the time & start out with many seeds ( I found out that about 1/3 of plants die in the spring), the resulting display will truly be worth it.

Positive Gabrielle On Jun 6, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Large, beautiful bell shaped flowers. It does not have the "saucer" like some Cup and Saucer flowers do. Takes a fair amount of shade.

Light aids germination of seeds.

Positive sodakine On Jun 1, 2003, sodakine from Duarte, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I was amazed to see how long the flowers lasted out in the Southern California sun. I waited 10 days for more flowers to bloom before I took a picture, and I only had to deadhead 5 or 6 flowers. Wow!

Positive Evert On Jan 28, 2003, Evert from Helsinki
Finland (Zone 4b) wrote:

Very pretty biennial plant, I grew mine from seeds. It bloomed twice and produced big pods which had seeds I think, but they had dropped out, when I tried to pick them, there were somekind of small sharp needles that stung me. So wear gloves if you try to collect them..

I sowed mine just outdoors, I bought a cheap packet of the seeds and I spread the seeds on top of the soil on a small shady area. They sprouted and I got many seedlings which from about 8 survived. I replanted them to half-shady area and next Spring they were still alive :D One bloomed. Other probably will bloom next summer.

Camarillo, California