Spotted Trillium
Trillium maculatum

Family: Trilliaceae
Genus: Trillium (TRIL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: maculatum (mak-yuh-LAH-tum) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

Maroon (Purple-Brown)

Mottled

Anniston, Alabama

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Tallahassee, Florida

Cleveland, Ohio

Okatie, South Carolina (2 reports)

Crossville, Tennessee

On Feb 4, 2013, sueroderus from Bluffton, SC wrote:

I too live near Spring Island, SC and bought this plant at their native plant sale. The leaves disappear in the summer so I was thrilled when it came up this year. With our mild winter it was blooming in January. The deer left it alone for many weeks, but finally decided to try it. They did leave some leaves on my one plant. I am going to add more in the hopes that it will be at least somewhat deer resistant. The foliage is beautiful and it makes a great ground cover in the late winter and early spring. I am growing it in zone 8b.

On Apr 18, 2010, WesGrady from Hilton Head Island, SC wrote:

There is a large area of wild Spotted Trillium on Spring Island, SC. They grow prolifically, due to the presence of significant calcium in the soil, mostly from old shells.

On Nov 23, 2007, macybee from Deer Park, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Is another special sessile species which grows over a wide range across central Alabama, Georgia and S Carolina. The 'maculatum' refers to the leaves which can be strongly and darkly mottled. The flowers are usually relatively tall and a very clear red-maroon, lacking the brown overtones that flowers of many sessile species can have.