PlantFiles: Spotted Dead Nettle
Lamium maculatum

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lamium (LAY-mee-um) (Info)
Species: maculatum (mak-yuh-LAH-tum) (Info)

Synonym:Lamium album var. maculatum

Thumbnail #6 of Lamium maculatum by poorgeorge

By kennedyh
Thumbnail #7 of Lamium maculatum by kennedyh

Positive VJD On Dec 7, 2013, VJD from Oak Ridge, TN wrote:

Planted this in September on the north side, and even though we've had freezing temps, it's still lovely and flowering! So far I love it.

Positive Bhamster On Sep 16, 2012, Bhamster from Bellingham, WA wrote:

This plant grows nicely in a sheltered, shady, nutrient-poor patch of my back yard that is bone-dry in summer and constantly damp in winter. It is very well-behaved under these conditions. It was here when we moved in 15 years ago, and has shown no inclination to expand its territory.

Negative Clary On Jun 18, 2012, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

After several years I have removed this plant from the garden. It spread much too rapidly by long creeping shoots that rooted along the way; it didn't make or stay in a clump. It also crept over and smothered out its neighbors. I like plants intermingling but this deadnettle began to behave like an invasive weed. To my dismay, when I tried to dig it out it had created a dense mat of roots that required a shovel to remove and took a good deal of soil with it. The mat of roots also seemed to be a good environment for pillbugs.

I acquired this plant from a single cutting that was given to me. Given its vigor and matting quality I think it would be a nice massed groundcover for a slope. The flowers and leaves are pretty.

Positive sseebart On May 25, 2009, sseebart from Sunnyvale, CA wrote:

I've had great luck with this plant in shady locations. It spreads rapidly and blooms easily. Less luck with these in pots. After even a mild winter, they were gangly and needed quite a bit of cleaning up. A quick transplant to a shady spot in the garden brought them right back, however.

Positive Rosiegardener On Apr 14, 2009, Rosiegardener from Hillsboro, OR wrote:

Impressive plant. Looks fantastic in containers. Excellent cold hardiness. I will post an image of one in a coco fiber hanging basket with icicles hanging all over it and a mound of snow on top. That plant didn't die! I tidied it up and it looks great this spring. I use this plant in hanging baskets only, so I have no experience with invasiveness. I believe it could be, though, after seeing how hardy it is.

Positive gardenchicago On Aug 6, 2007, gardenchicago from Chicago, IL wrote:

I love the orchid frost purple lamium. I am in Chicago, planted a hillside, that is in morning sun, and it has flowered all summer.

Neutral kmenzel On May 21, 2006, kmenzel from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

Very pretty, but can be invasive (seeds) when it's happy. I have tried many cultivars of lamium, and this one is now taking over my yard! It has even spread UPHILL into my neighbor's yard!

Positive PurplePansies On May 3, 2005, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Lamium is not a extremely impressive specimen plant but it is nice as a shade groundcover.... it has flowers that are fine (and may not flower much in shade) but the attraction is the variegated leaves.....If you get one of the prettier cultivars you will be even more satisfied with your plant.... not a "knock your socks" off plant but then again those are (mostly) relegated to sun aren't they? I perfectly nice groundcover for shade ..... spreads nicely in moist shade and I recommend it as such. :)

Positive ladyannne On May 2, 2005, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Mine was labeled Orchid Frost, yet has white flowers? I love this ground cover, it is lush and full, readily recovers from dog steps and water hoses. It gets a few hours of filtered morning sun and does extremely well, borderlines on invasive.

Negative nevadagdn On Mar 24, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've successfully killed this plant more times than I can count. I killed it in Kansas (zone 5), and I've killed it in Nevada. Shade, no shade, doesn't matter.

Positive designart On Nov 17, 2004, designart from Schwenksville, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Love Dead Nettles for foliage and extended blooming period. In PA many people have problems with the plants dying out during a wet summer like we had in 2004. Sometimes they will come back the following year. They did okay in deep shade but died out after about 5 years. In more sun they seem much happier.

Positive pokerboy On Sep 28, 2004, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a great hardy plant that thrives in my garden in zone 8b/9a on neglect. I don't deadhead this plant after it flowers in early Spring, I don't water it much, maybe once a fortnight and the Lamium is in midday and morning sun and it thrives. It likes to support itself on the 1.2 metre retaining wall a family friend has got. Great plant for all situations. Most of which anyway. pokerboy.

Positive SunshineSue On May 25, 2003, SunshineSue from Mississauga, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

I've had very good results with all types of Lamium, sun or shade, in ground as well as in pots & hanging baskets. No special requirements other than watering.

Lamium is a real winner in my garden & pots; I grow them as much for the foilage as for the small flowers which range from white to pink to mauve. The use of Lamium throughout my gardens ties everything together with some uniformity.

Positive Crimson On Feb 3, 2003, Crimson from Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I loved this plant, I just started it in summer 2002 and it kept blooming until after most other plants were killed by the hard frost... I'm hoping it spreads, it's foliage is very lovely. (zone 4)

Neutral Terry On Mar 10, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Semi-evergreen member of the mint family. Silvery foliage brightens shady spots. Flowers appear from late spring to early summer; colors range from white to shell pink to dark lavender, depending on variety. May send a second, smaller flush of flowers in cooler fall temperatures.

Provide well-drained humusy soil, even moisture, and shade (will not tolerate dry sunny locations.)

Brea, California