PlantFiles: Common Fig, Edible Fig, Higo
Ficus carica 'Chicago Hardy'

Family: Moraceae (mor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ficus (FY-kus) (Info)
Species: carica (KAIR-ih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Chicago Hardy

Edible Fruits and Nuts

From hardwood cuttings
By air layering
By tip layering
By stooling or mound layering

By amandaemily

Thumbnail #3 of Ficus carica by mygardens

By mygardens
Thumbnail #4 of Ficus carica by mygardens

Positive u2dan On Jun 8, 2013, u2dan from Winthrop, MA wrote:

I live in Winthrop, Massachusetts, which is right next to Boston. We are a coastal town, I believe in zone 6ish.

The first year I had my chicago fig, I planted it in the ground and let it do its thing. Around late october, I pruned it as it was just one stick, wrapped it in burlap stuffed with leaves and put a container over it. It was about a foot high at this point. Come spring, it bloomed with leaves and new branches!

I decided to dig it up last summer and keep it in a pot. It did its usual leaf dropping in the fall, and sat in my house without leaves for the winter. It did start producing leaves much earlier though, probably in early March. When I put it outside when the weather stayed warmer, it kinda looked like it was dying, the leaves got brown and some dropped off, but new leaves quickly replaced them along with little tiny figs!

I think at this point I've had my fig for 2 years now, grows very quickly and is finally producing figs this year!

Positive RxBenson On May 14, 2012, RxBenson from Pikesville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have two plants. The first year I brought them into the garage and overwintered them there -- Zone 7A in NJ.

The second year I left the pots out on the south-facing sidewalk without protection -- they are, after all, "Chicago HARDY"!

Each way worked and I got a small fruit yield.

These are the dwarf variety.

I now live in Pikesville MD -- same zone, but warmer and with red clay soil... -- and have put them into the ground here. They had spent up until late April in their pots. One is by the front fence where it will get morning sun. The other is in the center of the yard, beneath some high shade.

I'll keep you updated....

Positive BrooklynJon On Aug 23, 2007, BrooklynJon from Brooklyn, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Planted it in the ground last summer in Brooklyn (z6b-7a). Wrapped twice around with burlap, then put a plastic bag over the top (updating the more traditional bucket). It survived the winter nicely (T min=12 degrees) and is flourishing this summer. I haven't seen any figs on it yet, so I can't comment on them.

Bridgeport, Connecticut