Ostrich Fern, Garden Fern, Shuttlecock Fern
Matteuccia struthiopteris

Family: Aspidiaceae
Genus: Matteuccia (mat-TEW-kee-uh) (Info)
Species: struthiopteris (struth-ee-OH-ter-is) (Info)
Synonym:Matteuccia pennsylvanica

Blackshear, Georgia

Marietta, Georgia

Patterson, Georgia

Waycross, Georgia

Chicago, Illinois (2 reports)

Naperville, Illinois

Bardstown, Kentucky

Louisville, Kentucky

Mc Dowell, Kentucky

Skowhegan, Maine

Annapolis, Maryland (2 reports)

Millersville, Maryland

Frenchtown, New Jersey

Jersey City, New Jersey

South Plainfield, New Jersey

Whitehouse Station, New Jersey

Buffalo, New York (3 reports)

Ithaca, New York

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin

Madison, Wisconsin

Cody, Wyoming

On Apr 20, 2015, raeben from Great Falls, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

A beautiful fern in Zone 6 here in Virginia. I bought 2, my duaghter planted one in the sun, I planted one in the shade. Watered frequently the first year and they both did very well. Next year the one in the sun had multiplied, and since then has produced probably 20 offspring in 4 years. The one in the shade has produced 1 offspring. Soil is similar -- rich humus in both areas. They seem to like to be crowded and will come up right next to pavement. It doesn't look happy in the full sun in later summer -- the leaves scorch and dry out. I've divided them and moved a goodly number to the shade. Will water the sunspot more this summer again and see if that helps prevent the scorching, as I don't remember it from the first year. I think it is more the sun than lack of moisture. thou... read more

On Jun 19, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

The vase-shaped clumps are handsome in the spring. I notice that the foliage often declines in summer, even on the margins of swamps. This is the earliest of hardy ferns to start looking ratty, especially if it gets dry.

A very aggressive spreader, this is good in spacious natural areas but quickly and persistently invades adjacent cultivated plantings.

The CDC reports that the consumption of lightly cooked fiddleheads from ostrich ferns has been associated with gastrointestinal illness, apparently due to some unknown toxin, and suggests boiling for ten minutes before eating.

On Jun 18, 2014, Sandylizzie from Frankfort, NY wrote:

My neighbor offered me some Ostrich ferns and I thought they'd make a great backdrop for the shade garden and the property border. They were too aggressive, and last fall I spent a month digging them out and now spend an hour a week digging out the new growth, constantly disrupting the bugle weed and other plants. No matter how well you think you have dug up their root system, they will continue to pop up. Only plant them in areas that you really want covered and have some way to prevent them from invading other areas. The native ferns that grow in my wild area are not a problem at all.

On Feb 3, 2014, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

This is a good garden plant if it is in a place where it can spread a lot and not invade something or be confined by paved surfaces or something else. This commonly planted fern in the East and Midwest spreads rapidly by underground rhizomes. In late summer it often becomes browned and ratty looking if there has been dryness. Keep it watered in average soils. It likes draining wet soils best, as in marshes and swamps. Its separate fertile fronds are leafy and look like the regular infertile fronds, but are shorter, though they turn brown in fall and show through the winter.

On Jun 21, 2013, derbeh from Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

It's not surprising that these ferns suffer in Thousand Oaks - gets VERY hot there in the summer. However, here in Mar Vista, we have them growing in our courtyard in our condominium and they are huge and lush year round. It all depends on where one is. If it gets to be 80 here in the summer, we consider that a terrific heat wave, so compared to the inland valleys and their +100 degree heat in the summer, our climate is far more conducive to growing these beautiful ferns.

On May 29, 2011, JonthanJ from Logansport, IN wrote:

Yes, lightly shaded moist woods and east and north sides of houses are very good. Propagation from a well developed population is surprisingly easy. The individual crowns may be harvested like bulbs when the population is dormant. As with some bulbs good roots improve performance Planted just poking out of the ground, they will grow well the following spring, a bit small, but looking like they did grow there. Once you see multiple crowns the new population is also well developed.

Size in a given year is very much dependent on how wet things were as the fronds were coming up.

On Sep 21, 2010, chuck7701 from McKinney, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I've about given up trying to get this to grow in Tx zone 8a. Starts off well in the spring and early summer, but is heat sensitive. Fronds die off, and it goes dormant by late June. Have tried large and small plants the past 2-3 years.

On May 2, 2010, silverkathy8 from Chicago, IL wrote:

Beautiful and quite hardy in zone 5. I planted on the north side of our house and they really thrived - too well, actually. They almost took over my entire planting bed! After three years I have transplanted them to a planting bed with cement borders. These ferns will send out underground runners and pop up 1-2 feet away from the original plant. They even broke through my weed-control fabric. Be very careful where you plant these beauties!

On Jul 2, 2009, lehua_mc from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Ditto on the posts which say the Ostrich Fern needs to be protected from heat/intense sun. I have mine tucked away on the east side of the house, but it apparently still receives too much southern sun. The mature fronds in places are bleached and scorched. I water it like a baby, but I can't undo the burnt areas!

On May 23, 2009, CrabgrassCentrl from New Milford, CT wrote:

Several of these were here in different spots, under trees & along an old rock wall, when we moved here. They love the shade and look fantastic against the rock wall. They are not spreading as aggressively as I've read about here, in fact they're pretty well-behaved and we've added more ferns to fill in along the wall.

On Jun 22, 2007, RainGardner from Grand Rapids, MI wrote:

Although beautiful, it is invasive and sensitive to heat. I started with three and it spread to 15 in one season. They were gorgeous! Then the next season, the late July heat came in and they all burned up and looked awful - even with daily waterings. Then the next season, they started invading my hostas, iris patch and eventually escaped past my brick border into my lawn. I dug them all out (and 15 others I found just under the surface) last fall. I am now trying to get rid of 12 new ones that have sprung up. Give this one plenty of room if you want them in your landscape!

On Feb 17, 2007, Cretaceous from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This fern has thrived here in zone 9b, growing against the wall of the house where it is shaded from the full sun. Watered daily. Commonly found for sale locally in the gardening departments of stores such as Orchard Supply Hardware.

Native to the north-eastern states in the USA (plus Alaska), Canada, northern Asia, and Europe. (It is listed as exploitably vulnerable in the state of New York).

On Oct 17, 2005, shaney from Framingham, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I've grown this in the shade of a fence in very sandy soil and found that it only needs average moisture to grow, though it is only about 3' tall in those conditions.
This fern can be invasive- it spreads like crazy for me- so only plant it in an area where it can be easily contained or where it has room to ramble. My kids make pretend "bird wings" out of the fronds.

On Aug 30, 2005, sanity101 from Dublin, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

While the theoreticla appeal of these is their height, in my setting (clay/loam soil in heavy deciduous shade), the lady ferns consistently outpreform the ostrich ferns in the same bed, and are roughly twice the height. Not that these don't grow, but they do not thrive compared to other species.

On May 29, 2005, pirl from (Arlene) Southold, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

In a woodland setting they'd be fine and actually are in my garden, under the old pines that have lost the lower 20' of limbs.

In a garden they are badly behaved: wandering over and up through lupines, irises and astilbes and they just give me headaches trying to get rid of them.

On May 18, 2005, kdjoergensen from Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

An extremely handsome fern. The vase shape makes it really stand out.

On Apr 13, 2005, Shadyfolks from Chesterland, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I too love this fern and if it is happy where you plant it, it will give back to you over and over. I was told to plant 18" apart which after 10 years, I can say was too close. I agree as stated above 3' apart maybe 2'. I just dug out 15 plants for my garden club's plant sale. If they get too dense you can not enjoy the beautiful vase habit. Here in northern OH they get late morning sun till about 2-3 in the afternoon, they are next to a hemlock. Those that get more sun are much taller. I am 5'2" and they are every bit as tall as me. They require a lot of moisture, or they will start to go summer dormat for me, we use a soaker hose, because if wated from above the 'vase' will flatten and it does not spring back. It also has great winter interest.

On Dec 11, 2004, henryr10 from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

I don't know of a more shared plant in this area.

I first remember seeing Ostrich Ferns at my G-Aunt's house 40 some years ago. We played in the 'jungle' of ferns bigger than I was.
My Mother took a few home and I've had them ever since.
Thru 6 moves and three states we have always brought some along sharing them as we went.
A few years back I was able to revisit the original stand.
They are still there and going strong.

If you have the conditions, and they are not as tight as usually stated, and the room this is the premiere fern for your garden.

On Dec 7, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Lovely fern. Spreads by rhizomes. If you're planting more than one, place them at least 3 feet apart.

The edible fiddleheads appearing in spring are a tasty. Eat up!

On Nov 12, 2004, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

This fern grows fairly well, even in Nevada, if you give it the water, shade and loamy soil it wants.

On Oct 21, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have added over a dozen of these fern to my shade garden, which were given to me by a neighbor here in zone 5. They thrived, even when transplanted during the summer heat - but I did make sure to water well for the rest of that summer. Now, several years later the colony is growing and provides a wonderful graceful look in the back of the garden. Combined with hosta, impatiens, perilla, coleus and astilbe, and other shade loving plants, the shade garden is a thrill to watch all summer.

And yes, the fertile fronds that appear in late summer are wonderful to use in dried arrangements. I usually let them overwinter on the plant and pick them in spring.

On Jun 19, 2004, johnnylonghair from Toledo, OH wrote:

a large clump of these came with the house when i bought it.
they are planted where they get almost full sun and seem to tolerate it well. i have dug out several and given them to friends and family with no transplanting problems. they just fill back in.

On Aug 7, 2003, Ladyfern from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

Forms handsome colonies where happy. It is happy in moist, loose, organic soil. It is not happy in clay soil! Too much sun will bleach out the leaves. Mine get morning sun only, and it still seems to be too much.

On May 3, 2001, BotanyBob from Thousand Oaks, CA wrote:

Cultivation tidbit: This plant is particularly sensitive to hot, dry weather and is nearly impossible to grow here in Southern California unless watered 1-2x daily. Of most ferns available in cultivation, this is one of the toughest to grow here.

On Mar 10, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

This hardy fern derives its common name from its fronds' resemblance to an ostrich. It is a native to wooded river bottomlands and swamps in the Northeastern US, as well as throughout Canada, Europe, and Asia.

Beaded clusters of fertile fronds arise in late summer. After the spore has left, these cinnamon velvety "feathers" can be cut for dried arrangements or left on the plant to enjoy all winter. Harvesting the young fronds (also known as "fiddleheads") may encourage more and earlier growth. The young fronds are edible. The plant requires very moist (never completely drying out) soil and protection from winds.