Chinese Magnolia Vine

Schisandra rubriflora

Family: Schisandraceae
Genus: Schisandra (skiz-AN-dra) (Info)
Species: rubriflora

From hardwood heel cuttings

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Milford, Connecticut

Gold Bar, Washington

On Jun 27, 2011, HydroPinke from Burien, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I inherited this vine when we purchased our home in dec 2010. It sure is beautiful and not very finicky. Took quite a while to identify, not very common. The old growth on the plant and the newly emerging leaves resemble a climbing hydrangea. It flowers profusely, mine didn't seem to set berries. Possibly because I only have one and I need a pollinator. It receives morning sun through early afternoon, but the roots are in the shade after about 11. I am attempting to root some cuttings from some tip cuttings, I'll see how that goes.

On Jun 6, 2011, Erik_Spencer from Gold Bar, WA wrote:

this plant grows very well in the NW in light/dappled shade. I planted two of these in 2006 among large vine maples and they have spread through the canopy (20 ft up). Soil is lightly acidic (cedar and fir grew here years ago).The intense red flowers are small, but profuse, and appear in early spring (that is may/june in the NW) leaves are dark green. These vines appear delicate when small- don't be fooled. The plants send up quiet a few new vines each year, which are easily transplanted or yanked.while they do run, the vine does not seems to be a profuse sower of seeds - as I have yet to find an unattached baby in my yard. the berries last through fall, and are attractive - the berries are said to be high in caffeine.
I like this plant becasue it handles the shade, is not finiky... read more