Nemesia
Nemesia fruticans 'Opal Innocence'

Family: Scrophulariaceae (skrof-yoo-larr-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Nemesia (ne-MEE-see-uh) (Info)
Species: fruticans (FROO-tih-kanz) (Info)
Cultivar: Opal Innocence
Additional cultivar information:(PP17035, aka Fleurame)
Hybridized by Tellwright

Franklinville, New Jersey

Troy, New York

Lima, Ohio

On Mar 29, 2015, weatherguesser from Salinas, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

My Nemesias (one of which is Opal Innocence) have self-seeded all over the place -- they grow reliably every year and have spread widely (via seed). Some of the seeds are even trying to grow in my artificial lawn. Beautiful plant, very long blooming period (and often a couple of rounds of blooms every year).

On Feb 24, 2015, fresberg from Fresno, CA wrote:

I planted some of these several years ago, and they lasted about a year. Last spring I did some more digging and planting in the area where they used to be, and a volunteer began to grow. It lasted through a hot Fresno summer, made it through a few freezing nights this winter, and now looks better than ever. It's amazing! It's really a lovely little plant, so I am thrilled it came to stay.

On Oct 8, 2012, lewiste from Denver, CO wrote:

Love this plant! We hadn't grown it before so I wasn't sure what to expect in our zone 5, high altitude, semi-arid climate. We planted about 4 of these in a container in a shady spot off our deck. They have bloomed profusely all summer. The blooms are lovely with a beautiful, strong scent. Now we are a full week into October and have had a few hard frosts which pretty much did in the other annuals, but our little nemesias are still green and blooming. This plant has earned a spot on our list of favorites, and will have a permanent place in our garden!

On Sep 14, 2012, Tammylp from Lima, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love these little beauties; and I agree - they certainly do take the heat. We had a record breaking hot summer with little rain. I watered faithfully, but many annuals just could not take the heat and wilted; but these just kept blooming. It's Sept. now, and they are still going strong even though I have become lazy about deadheading. Mine are planted in the ground.

On Jul 25, 2012, Pineygirl12 from Franklinville, NJ wrote:

I'd never heard of nemesias until this year. I was passing by my garden center's "specialty annuals" section and was captivated by the clover-like scent.

Since they were sold as specialties "Proven Winners" brand) I couldn't buy them by the flat, but I sure would love to! I purchased four 4" pots and planted them in a large containers. Then I read online that they hate hot weather and would wilt in the July sun!

We went on to have multiple heat waves (South Jersey - zone 6/7), and our deck faces the west with no protection from the hot afternoon sun. To my surprise the nemsias kept on going. It's now almost August and they're beautiful! I did water them once or twice each day and fed them about once a week - maybe that's why they performed so well.

... read more

On Apr 24, 2011, hermero from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I've never grown this plant before; doing well so far. I purchased a couple 4 inch pots grown by Proven Winners about 1 month ago. It's been an unusually cold April here in zone 8, so I've kept them on a covered porch until the temp stays reliably above 40F at night. Despite that, they are blooming away. I planted them today in a window box facing East with some Lamium. Provided plant marker says: Zone 9-10, Upright growth, blooms from planting to hard frost, sun to part shade, fertilize regularly for best results, normal water needs; deadheading not necessary. Also, fragrant flowers, but I don't notice much scent. We'll see how they do by mid summer.