Common Boxwood, American Boxwood
Buxus sempervirens 'Monrue'

Family: Buxaceae
Genus: Buxus (BUK-sus) (Info)
Species: sempervirens (sem-per-VY-renz) (Info)
Cultivar: Monrue
Additional cultivar information:(PP15243; aka Green Tower)
Hybridized by Rusow/Monrovia Nursery Company

Newport News, Virginia

Spokane, Washington

Superior, Wisconsin

On Jun 23, 2010, summerrye6 from Superior, WI wrote:

I live in Zone 4 ...right off Lake Superior and I love boxwood and have had bushes that have done great over 16 yrs...so....I bought the Green tower and hoped for the best and so far, so good. Lasted over a winter from fall planting and is growing well. We had a dry and warm Spring and then some cold weather and now a "wet" season so far and it is still doing fine and receives about 8 hrs sun. That said..I am a "risky" gardener. I will try anything once to see how it does and I am rarely diappointed.

On Apr 12, 2008, Wassercom from Northbrook, IL wrote:

Purchased two specimens in the spring of 2006. They seem to be borderline hardy in our area (Zone 5a). Each spring, they drop about 50% of their leaves and make a slow comeback over the summer.

On Sep 21, 2007, plantmover from Hampton Roads, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is great plant for limited space. Purchased several to form a privacy hedge. They get morning and some early afternoon sun and have grown about 18" in 4 months' time. I asked the plantsman about the new growth that was floppy and limp looking. She said that as those stems matured, they'd harden and straighten. She was correct. I've not had to trim any off, and they've stood tall and tight within a few weeks' time. How nice to have a hedge that doesn't require continual pruning, not to mention its distinct and pleasant fragrance! Way to go Monrovia!

It's obvious in the picture which ones were purchased at the beginning of summer and which ones were just purchased in Oct.

On Jul 5, 2007, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This plant suffers dieback in borderline zone 5a-5b in winters with a lot of snow and little protection. This plant for me has been quite untidy for an upright grower. I have to prune off so much growth to keep it vertical it seems as though it would take forever to actually gain some size. I was using it as an accent point in a foundation planting and it has too many leaders to make really function for this purpose. This boxwood seems best used in warmer zones for privacy screening or slow growing natural fencing.

On May 27, 2007, dboisineau from Cliffside Park, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

Just planted these as a hedge in my tiny backyard. They're from Monrovia. The plants arrived super healthy and gorgeous. I hope they remain the size specified as 9' tall/ 2' wide. They're supposed to be faster growing than the ilex 'skypencil' that is similar in size. Keep your fingers crossed.