PlantFiles: Giant Chinese Silver Grass
Miscanthus giganteus

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Miscanthus (miss-KANTH-us) (Info)
Species: giganteus (jy-GAN-tee-us) (Info)

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Thumbnail #6 of Miscanthus giganteus by victorgardener

By victorgardener
Thumbnail #7 of Miscanthus giganteus by victorgardener

Positive sarassa On Apr 30, 2014, sarassa from Diamond, OH wrote:

This makes an excellent and FAST privacy screen. I was given a clump free if I dug it out. I divided the grass and planted it across 150' of frontage. The first year most of it reached full height and bloomed. The grass that didn't reach full height was damaged by a car that ran off the road and knocked it down. It came back fully the next season. My clumps after 3 years went from small pieces to about a 5 foot spread. It reaches up to 14 foot in height when blooming.

The downside of this grass is that it is extremely difficult to dig out. An axe and a pry bar are helpful. Gloves are necessary or the grass blades will slice easily through your skin. The roots are about 6 inches deep, but interwoven and as hard as digging through tree roots. It only takes the smallest piece of root to start a plant. It is messy. It will shed in the fall. The outer blades will fall over when full grown and it needs lots of space.

In the winter it dies and turns yellow. It will continue to stand if you need the privacy or it can be cut down since it will regrow from the ground. Keep in mind that at this stage, it is very flammable and a fire risk if too near the house or a building.

This grass is rarely eaten by animals. My horses won't touch it, and my goats will only taste it and walk away. I haven't had any problems with deer and I'd guess that they don't like it either.

The stalks of this grass can be used for plant stakes or crafts. It is similar to bamboo, just not as wide.

I live in Northeast Ohio. The grass is in full sun and gets plenty of rain. It is planted in both a well drained area and a wet area and does great either way.

Positive DonnaMack On Sep 5, 2013, DonnaMack from Elgin, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant provides an excellent and fast growing screen. It reaches maturity within approximately three years. For best results, do not allow it to become completely dry at the base. Great on a slight slope or a downward edge on your property, which makes watering unnecessary.

Positive nyergin On Nov 21, 2011, nyergin from Tionesta, PA wrote:

I planted a gallon pot of this grass next to my house in NW PA when I bought it in 2001. Ten years later, its clump is about 3 foot in diameter and is at least 10 feet tall. It's in full sun in a rather dry spot and holds its form well through the winter.

Neutral Dobiegirl51 On Jul 5, 2010, Dobiegirl51 from Sullivan
United States wrote:

I planted this last year 2009 around the end of Aug, as of now July 5, 2010 it's only about 4' tall???? I was so hoping this would be at least 8' for privacy, any suggestions as to why it may not be growing well for me???

Positive JonthanJ On Dec 20, 2009, JonthanJ from Logansport, IN wrote:

Jim liked this when we were planning the house, in 2003. I set four clumps on the clay loam Zone 5 hillside below the east end of the parking lot to screen it from the road. Their success has been hilarious. We made some divisions in 2007. Friends various success with them reminded us that this species really wants as much sun as it can get. The Fall color, a peachy gold, is impressive. Dry weather in 2010 impaired bloom and fall color.

We got the yellow edged cultivar, Golden Tower, in 2010 and realized how helpful it had been to be able to buy the species in 10 gallon pots. Growing on from a division in a one gallon pot has been slow going.

Positive dakotaroser On Jul 27, 2008, dakotaroser from Kingston, NH wrote:

Very tall Miscanthus, its beautiful. I planted along with several other varieties on a small hill where I can see it from my
deck as the sun sets. I have had it for 2 years now and
its at least 8 or 9ft tall and its not even Aug yet. I hope
it flowers later on and when I cut it back in the spring I will
save the long canes for other uses.

Elgin, Illinois