Coreopsis, Tickseed 'Limerock Dream'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Coreopsis (kor-ee-OP-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Limerock Dream
Additional cultivar information:(PP16923)
Hybridized by Schweizer-Limerock Plant Farm
Registered or introduced: 2006

Hesperia, California

Los Angeles, California

Winsted, Connecticut

Augusta, Georgia

Elizabeth City, North Carolina (2 reports)

Springfield, Ohio

North Augusta, South Carolina

Summerville, South Carolina

Garland, Texas

Kilgore, Texas

On Aug 16, 2009, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Limerock Dream came from a sport of Limerock Passion.

On Jun 28, 2009, turektaylor from Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

UPDATE-MARCH 2010- mine survived an unusually cold winter in zone 8a.

in may 2008 ,Researchers from the Floriculture Program at Michigan State University (MSU) evaluated and trialed coreopsis Limerock Dream . it performed very well in their greenhouse and garden trials . their conclusions were that it's hardy to zone 8a.

that's good enough for me, since they had nothing to gain monetarily.

i love the tiny ( maybe the size of a small woman's thumbnail) flowers and their staying power, even in our scorching heat and droughts and their awesome colors. a true standout in any garden, in my opinion.

UPDATE march 2010 - it has EMERGED ans survived our unusually cold winter here in zone 8 !!! it is on my ESE side of my deck.... read more

On Aug 11, 2008, Sneirish from Swansea, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I was fooled once before by "Limerock Ruby" which was touted to be hardy to zone 6 but was not. This "Limerock Dream" is a beauty and has done so well since I planted it this past spring. This one too is supposed to be hardy, so we'll see. I read that it was originally bred in Rhode Island, so I'm hoping it likes it here in nearby SE Mass.

On Jun 27, 2008, DebinSC from Georgetown, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I had these last year and they were beautiful; sadly, they did not return this year at all. I'm in Zone 8 so I can only think this was due to the drought conditions we had most of 2007? Very dissappointing.

On Mar 16, 2008, mbhoakct76 from Winsted, CT wrote:

Previously i thought positive about this plant although i wasnt to fond of the flowers and the way the color quickly faded out to a brown. It returned one spring after being planted in late fall, but this year none of the 3 returned!! I have dug them up and checked the roots where there is no sign of life so im calling them dead! These definately are not hardy in zone 5b (the tag i have says hardy to zone 5).
I have read online many other people have not had luck with this supposidly hardy perrenial either. If you want a hardy tickseed try the yellow variety- they return faithfully year after year.

Editor's Note

While we can find several vendors stating the hardiness of this cultivar is zone 6-9, there have been numerous reports all o... read more