PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Green Doctors'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Green Doctors

Thumbnail #2 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by aries44

By Suze_
Thumbnail #3 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Suze_

Positive Loretta_NJ On Sep 22, 2012, Loretta_NJ from Pequannock, NJ wrote:

Definitely one of the most mentioned tomatoes at three tomato tastings I've attended. I grew 2 plants in a community garden this year and the yield was good. It was also one of the last tomatoes to resist a leaf spot disease that infected the garden. Here it is September and the plant is still full of green leaves while I had to pull out everything else. A very sweet tomato good for snacking with a little less tomato flavor than some. A must try if you like sweet tomatoes. Also a relatively smaller vine - not pot size. The seedling was noticeably smaller than the other varieties I grew this year and took longer to grow up and fruit. Good to pair with an earlier variety.

Neutral SLO_Garden On Aug 11, 2012, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

Although I am a big fan of green-when-ripe tomatoes, I didn't care for Green Doctors. Maybe it was just me or my garden, but I thought they had kind of a funky flavor. They were very sweet, but not the typical sweet and spicy of a green. Yield wasn't anything to write home about either. I'm giving them a neutral because they may be fine for someone else, just not for me.

Positive Suze_ On Oct 31, 2007, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Midseason, indet, reg leaf plant with moderate yield of very good flavored amber-green cherries, smaller and sweeter than Green Grape, a sport of Dr. Carolyn, named by Victor Schrager after a trout fly and in honor of Carolyn Male and Amy Goldman.

I grew this variety in fall of 2007, and while it was good, the flavor is just amazing in Spring '08. I guess the heat and the warmer nights helped to better develop the flavor. A new favorite - tastes somewhat like a perfectly dead ripe Aunt Ruby's German Green in a small package.

San Luis Obispo, California