Silver Banner Grass
Miscanthus sacchariflorus

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Miscanthus (miss-KANTH-us) (Info)
Species: sacchariflorus (sak-ar-ee-FLOR-us) (Info)

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Vermillion, South Dakota

Menasha, Wisconsin

Muscoda, Wisconsin

On Apr 16, 2010, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant has been in the same place for 12 years now. It has never moved. It has never been found growing anywhere other then where it was originally planted. It is beautiful when in full bloom. Oh Yessss it spreads and will get wider over time. But invasive? Just haven't been able to prove that to myself yet. Great ornamental grass!

On Jun 6, 2008, julie88 from Muscoda, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

Absolutely gorgeous plant...BUT!

I got a small clump of Silver Banner Grass from a neighbor. The first year after transplanting I couldn't wait to see how beautiful it would look in my garden. Second year...it really looked nice. Third year... I neglected it and it grew like crazy.

This is the fourth year. When I realized that it had taken over one end of my garden and was headed towards my prized daylilies it *had* to go!

Let me assure you that while it may sound like a simple task to remove a "little" grass...that was NOT the case. You don't just PULL this stuff...you *have* to follow every single runner and get them ALL out. Otherwise they just send up new shoots and start the process all over again. How do I know? I know because now... read more

On Mar 15, 2008, distantkin from Saint Cloud, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Amur silver grass (Miscanthus sacchariflorus) is considered invasive by the Minnesota DNR
"Ecological Threat:

* It invades disturbed sunny to semi-shaded environments, such as road sides, woodland borders, and clearings.
* Although not a severe threat at this time it forms single species stands. It should be monitored and eliminated in the open landscape.
* Silver banner grass is native to eastern Asia and is a popular ornamental grass. It is found primarily in the eastern U.S., but is spreading in Minnesota."

On Dec 7, 2005, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

This grass needs to be given limits to grow or it will slowly sread.

On Oct 19, 2003, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

This grass is an aggressive spreader and is not suitable for smaller gardens. Given plenty of room it can be quite a beauty with it's silvery plumes that reach 7-9 feet tall. It prefers wet soils and is suitable to grow near the edges of ponds and water gardens. Plants grown in drier soils are not as robust and will not spread as rapidly.