American Elm, White Elm
Ulmus americana

Family: Ulmaceae (ulm-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ulmus (ULM-us) (Info)
Species: americana (a-mer-ih-KAY-na) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By grafting

Buffalo, New York

Ada, Oklahoma

Reading, Pennsylvania

West Chester, Pennsylvania

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Converse, Texas

Madison, Wisconsin

Kinnear, Wyoming

Riverton, Wyoming

On Mar 26, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I remember the magnificent, cathedral-like spaces these trees used to form on the National Mall in Washington.

Dutch elm disease has devastated ornamental plantings in the USA. Most are now gone. The few that survive mostly do so through unsustainable pruning and spraying programs.

The wild species includes trees with a variety of habits---the classic elegant vase shape is only one of several different forms. We generally forget the shallow thirsty roots that heaved sidewalks and destroyed lawns. We also commonly forget that this is subject to a host of other devastating pests and diseases.

There are now a few clones with hard data showing some tolerance to DED, and these are the trees to plant, and not the species. All of them are seriously vul... read more

On Mar 25, 2015, nlafrance3 from Edmonton, AB (Zone 4a) wrote:

Amazing giant that grows in large numbers in Edmonton,AB. Thankfully the trees have been spared any major diseases that other cities have seen (knock on wood). A very large percent of the boulevard trees in Edmonton are American Elm. They grow up to 100 feet tall. Hardy to at least zone 2a in Northern Alberta and maybe colder.

On Dec 26, 2013, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

The White or American Elm is the most beautuiful elm in the world with its wonderful arching vase shape, and it usually gets good golden fall color. I remember so many along the street when I was a boy in the 1950's into the 70's in the Chicago area of Illinois. Dutch Elm Disease and also Phoem Necrosis killed off over 99% of the trees, though some 1 out of 10,000 or so survived by having resistance within them. The two cities of Elmhurst and Hinsdale, Illinois, have worked so hard on removing infected trees immediately that they still have some old elm trees lining some streets even into 2013. A few of those must be naturally resistant. I found one huge American Elm doing very well up the street in my old northern Illinois neighborhood that had been devastated by DED, and a few other big... read more

On May 17, 2013, plant_it from Valparaiso, IN wrote:

A beautiful tree. Graceful, arching, vase-like growth form. The wood has great strength and limb breakage is rare. I've read that Sapsucker woodpeckers have a great love of young elm trees.

The American elm is native to eastern North America, occurring from Nova Scotia west to Alberta and Montana, and south to Florida and central Texas. It's an extremely hardy tree that can withstand winter temperatures as low as −42 C (−44 F).

On Feb 7, 2008, peachespickett from Huntington, AR wrote:

These grow wild here in western Arkansas, but larger ones are rare due to the Dutch Elm disease. The University of Arkansas @ Fort SMith has an ENORMOUS one in the lawn along Grand Avenue.

On Apr 23, 2006, JanetteD from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

I have two mature & lovely elm trees in my backyard (corner lot). My neighbor also decided to harbor one that was growing on the fence line, so now I have a third hanging over my yard, and my power lines. If I had known then what I know now, I would have snuck out and cut that little tree down first chance I got! These trees are lovely, but they are spindly & "sticky". The yard, the drive, the road, my flowerbeds and everything else are constantly covered with little twigs & leafy sticks. I'm able to mulch them with my mower, but the ones in the flower beds are a nusiance. Also, the branches don't seem to be that sturdy. Over the last ten years I have had 3 large branches break off & fall during storms. I fear it's only a matter of time until my neighbor's fenceline tree takes out my phone... read more

On Sep 6, 2005, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

The American elm was a favoured street tree for many years. They are relatively fast growing, thrive in a wide range of soils, tolerate soil compaction, root disturbance, drought and extreme winter cold. Their high-headed, vase-shaped structure creates a green canopy high above with few lower branches to obstruct buildings and vehicles on the ground. When planted on either side of a street, they form graceful gothic arches at maturity.

The 1930s saw the arrival Dutch Elm disease (DED), a fungus that is carried by the elm bark beetle, in the eastern U.S. Millions of trees were killed, leaving some cities with almost no elms remaining. The disease has moved across North America, and decimated both urban and wild populations of elms. By the 1990s it reached Saskatchewan, the n... read more

On Jun 22, 2004, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

When we cleared the jungle on our place we discovered a number of American Elm trees. These are very graceful trees. When I was young it was the most common tree along the creeks. We have about a hundred scattered over the place. Several are in the 50 foot range. Very handsome leaves. Rich looking .

Trois

On Aug 31, 2001, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

American Elm is a large, fast growing deciduous tree with a broad vase shape. It grows to over 75 feet. Has tiny red flowers in early spring that are followed by winged green fruit in late spring.The leaves are medium green,turning yellow in the fall.