Creeping Gloxinia, Mexican Twist
Lophospermum erubescens 'Great Cascade Wine Red'

Family: Plantaginaceae
Genus: Lophospermum (lo-fo-sper-mum) (Info)
Species: erubescens (er-yoo-BESS-kens) (Info)
Cultivar: Great Cascade Wine Red
Additional cultivar information:(PP15532, Great Cascade group)
Hybridized by Yomo/Miyazaki

Spokane, Washington

Fairmont, West Virginia

negative

On Sep 2, 2014, Pearl375 from Brooklyn, NY wrote:

I bought this plant last year at a plant sale in Brooklyn. It did wonderfully throughout the summer and fall in my skylighted hall area (southeast exposure) blooming profusely. I kept it there thru the winter when temps reached 55-65 degrees. I reduced watering and only watered from the saucer, afraid of stem rot. This year it did not fare as well. What I have now is smaller leaves mottled with white streaks and alot less flowers.

On Jan 25, 2013, saskboy from Regina, SK (Zone 3b) wrote:

I plant several of these vines in a long windowbox located over a high entrance archway. It hangs down in great swags, so that its like walking thru a curtain. fast growing and gets progressively more floriferous as the season wears on. The flowers are a rich vibrant burgundy and resemble gigantic snapdragons. It needs lots of sun, regular watering, and periodic fertilizing. I combined it with variegated vinca vine, and hot pink cascading petunias.

On Sep 9, 2011, dewy from Moose Creek, AK wrote:

I bought this plant at a local nursery here in North Pole Alaska; for the first time this spring. It is now my new favorite. It bloomed from mid-late June through yesterday (Sept 8th); through several frosts, and had blooms still coming as of Sept 8th. I will have to check and see if it survived our coldest temperature to date 25 degree; last night. I used bat guano, plant food, green sand, and bone meal, when I transplanted it from the small 6 inch pot. I first had it in full sun, after the first few blooms it seemed to stop doing anything, so I moved it to my deck which is part shade; getting only direct sun in the evening, from the time I put it on the deck it was non stop beautiful cascading from a tall stand, all the way down, and spreading all over the place. I did have to keep an ey... read more

On Sep 2, 2011, flinx66 from Spokane, WA wrote:

I had absolutely no problem getting this plant to bloom. I had three foot long flowering vines within a month after transplanting. Out of all the annuals I planted this season, this gorgeous vine has received the most attention by visitors coming to my home.

On Aug 11, 2010, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

In my area it hardly grew in a part sun container - seem to sulk and never did bloom or grow out much. Only lasted one year in sales at a local greenhouse then disappeared. - obvious due to disappointing sales.

On Feb 5, 2009, lusarytole from Fairmont, WV wrote:

I have had this plant for 3 years. I bring some cuttngs in each winter and just keep them in a jar of water all winter in a west window. Then plant them outside each summer. They do wondeful and bloom all summer.