PlantFiles: Creeping Gloxinia, Mexican Twist
Lophospermum erubescens 'Great Cascade Wine Red'

Family: Plantaginaceae
Genus: Lophospermum (lo-fo-sper-mum) (Info)
Species: erubescens (er-yoo-BESS-kens) (Info)
Cultivar: Great Cascade Wine Red
Additional cultivar information: (PP15532, Great Cascade group)
Hybridized by Yomo/Miyazaki; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2003

Thumbnail #4 of Lophospermum erubescens by burn_2007

By burn_2007
Thumbnail #5 of Lophospermum erubescens by burn_2007

Positive saskboy On Jan 25, 2013, saskboy from Regina, SK (Zone 3b) wrote:

I plant several of these vines in a long windowbox located over a high entrance archway. It hangs down in great swags, so that its like walking thru a curtain. fast growing and gets progressively more floriferous as the season wears on. The flowers are a rich vibrant burgundy and resemble gigantic snapdragons. It needs lots of sun, regular watering, and periodic fertilizing. I combined it with variegated vinca vine, and hot pink cascading petunias.

Positive dewy On Sep 9, 2011, dewy from Moose Creek, AK wrote:

I bought this plant at a local nursery here in North Pole Alaska; for the first time this spring. It is now my new favorite. It bloomed from mid-late June through yesterday (Sept 8th); through several frosts, and had blooms still coming as of Sept 8th. I will have to check and see if it survived our coldest temperature to date 25 degree; last night. I used bat guano, plant food, green sand, and bone meal, when I transplanted it from the small 6 inch pot. I first had it in full sun, after the first few blooms it seemed to stop doing anything, so I moved it to my deck which is part shade; getting only direct sun in the evening, from the time I put it on the deck it was non stop beautiful cascading from a tall stand, all the way down, and spreading all over the place. I did have to keep an eye on the vines, and keep them from tangling, and choking it self out. Our summer was very rainy, but it did not seem to bother it as it did some of my other flowers. I had it planted in a 24 inch pot which was about 17 inches deep, along with a Fuchsia planted with it. Was hoping to hear I could keep it some way over winter; but I guess I will try the cuttings, and see if I can find out where the seeds are. Thanks!

Positive flinx66 On Sep 2, 2011, flinx66 from Spokane, WA wrote:

I had absolutely no problem getting this plant to bloom. I had three foot long flowering vines within a month after transplanting. Out of all the annuals I planted this season, this gorgeous vine has received the most attention by visitors coming to my home.

Negative Malus2006 On Aug 11, 2010, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

In my area it hardly grew in a part sun container - seem to sulk and never did bloom or grow out much. Only lasted one year in sales at a local greenhouse then disappeared. - obvious due to disappointing sales.

Positive lusarytole On Feb 5, 2009, lusarytole from Fairmont, WV wrote:

I have had this plant for 3 years. I bring some cuttngs in each winter and just keep them in a jar of water all winter in a west window. Then plant them outside each summer. They do wondeful and bloom all summer.

Nathrop, Colorado