Banana, Cavendish Banana, Chinese Banana, Dwarf Banana
Musa acuminata 'Sumatrana'

Family: Musaceae
Genus: Musa (MEW-suh) (Info)
Species: acuminata (ah-kew-min-AY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sumatrana

Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina

Newbury, Ohio

Lexington, South Carolina

On Feb 3, 2014, weRgroot from New Port Richey, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I've had great luck with this plant, but I do keep it out of full sun. Typically it dies back in the winter (not very cold tolerant), but this past summer I dug it out of the plant bed (an interesting task at best) and planted one of the "babies" in a pot on my patio. So far it's survived the cold (we have short cold blasts, nothing prolonged but we do have freezing days). I like this plant because it's a more interesting banana plant and it's hardy in my area. One caveat (for my area and south): It you plant it in a spot that it really likes, and it survives winters, it can be invasive.

On Jul 12, 2011, tx2step from Westworth Village, TX wrote:

I bought one of the guys and planted it and it did really well but now that summer is reaching 100 plus degrees it's burning - the leaves are showing signs of being "burned" it gets direct sun most of the morning but I've had to resort to covering it with an umbrella -it's wrecked. Fort Worth, Texas. Any suggestions - I was told it liked full sun but it obviously does not.... it's a pretty thing (or would be if it wouldn't burn up like it does)

On Jun 1, 2010, LuvMyGreen from Clearwater, FL wrote:

awesome plant! beautiful foliage. older leaves naturally fade there red color. loves sun and lots of H2o. happy gardening.

On Jul 21, 2009, renee9 from Oakland, CA wrote:

Planted 3 of these lovely Musas a month ago in my east Oakland garden. The one planted in full morning sun was miserable, so I moved it to the dappled shade of the Deodar cedar with the others. The 3 are now doing quite happily, enjoying weekly guano tea and lots of water, & growing new leaves steadily. The red on the lower leaves has just started fading -- I'm thinking of moving one to a slightly sunnier spot, though I hate to disturb them now that they've settled in nicely. Any thoughts??