PlantFiles: Zinnia Enchantress
Zinnia elegans 'Enchantress'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zinnia (ZIN-ya) (Info)
Species: elegans (ELL-eh-ganz) (Info)
Cultivar: Enchantress

By DMgardener
Thumbnail #4 of Zinnia elegans by DMgardener

By bigcityal
Thumbnail #5 of Zinnia elegans by bigcityal

Positive MorelCottrill On Aug 17, 2014, MorelCottrill from Dunn, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I first began growing these zinnias last year. One of them formed a bush nearly seven feet tall. Since last year was wet here, they all got the powdery mildew. This year they have been healthy.

I found that last year a small percentage of the flowers did not come out dahlia-flowering, instead remaining single or semi-double. They reseeded themselves and this year only about 25% of them are dahlia-flowered (but they are all still pink). I'm not sure what they'll do next year-- but they're so gorgeous in both forms, like gigantic dahlias and coneflowers, that I'm not complaining!

Positive DMgardener On Sep 21, 2009, DMgardener from (Daniel) Mount Orab, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

The magical color change makes it one of the best for any garden that wants a little interest. As you can see in the two pix I posted, they have two forms, spoonate and dahlia flowered. Also, one I grew had half the plant with VARIGATED foliage!!! All the other Zinnias nearby had green foliage, so it could not have been a defficeiency of any sort. I am very satisfied with this plant so, will grow again next year.

Positive cactuspatch On Aug 3, 2009, cactuspatch from Alamogordo, NM (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is my favorite zinnia for its great color, nice for cutting, if deadheaded it blooms for me from late Spring until November. Mulched heavily and it won't even mind if I forget to water and the temps get to 100. As my Grandma would say "no pansy for the heat this one!"

It reseeds like crazy and attracts many butterflies and hummingbirds. Birds eat the seeds too, but I still have tons that reseed and bags of seed to share.

Altamonte Springs, Florida