Sycamore, Buttonwood, American Sycamore, American Planetree

Platanus occidentalis

Family: Platanaceae
Genus: Platanus (PLAT-an-us) (Info)
Species: occidentalis (ok-sih-den-TAY-liss) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

From hardwood cuttings

From hardwood heel cuttings

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Scarify seed before sowing

By grafting

By budding

By simple layering

By air layering

By tip layering

By serpentine layering

By stooling or mound layering

Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

Atmore, Alabama

Chaska, Minnesota

Circle Pines, Minnesota

South Saint Paul, Minnesota

Sturgis, Mississippi

Lincoln, Nebraska (2 reports)

Hawthorne, Nevada

Knoxville, Tennessee

Nashville, Tennessee

Angleton, Texas

Arlington, Texas

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Bedford, Texas

Center, Texas

Hempstead, Texas

Liberty Hill, Texas

Medina, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Chesapeake, Virginia

Roanoke, Virginia

Liberty, West Virginia

Rosedale, West Virginia

Cambridge, Wisconsin

On Sep 28, 2015, hikerpat from Knoxville, TN wrote:

I live in Knoxville TN. My backyard is completely open to the SW winds that funnel most of the leaves from the 5 Sycamores that are located on a nearby school property, onto my property. The leaves defy composting, blowing,raking, corralling in any way. Any that you may miss, when cleaning out your planting beds, you will find years later. One year, one of my backyard hedges was completely covered by these leaves and, the leaves were piled 10' out from the hedge. If you want to be a problem to your neighbors downwind of your property, plant these horrible trees. Otherwise, respect everyone and get rid of them or, better yet, never plant them.

On Sep 28, 2015, suwannee from Lake City, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

The previous owner of my house must have loved sycamores as there were five in the yard. One didn't thrive for unknown reasons and I cut it down.

They produce a dense shade that is welcome in Florida. Then they loose all of their leaves in winter allowing welcome sun. I use the leaves for garden paths and eventually in the garden beds.

If you are thinking of planting a sycamore you need to consider their mature size. The canopy of one tree can be 50 feet wide. I don't care for branches hanging over my house. I may end up cutting two of the trees for that reason.

On Sep 28, 2015, Craig_R_Jackson from Cypress, TX wrote:

If you intend to plant a sycamore, possibly consider its relative from south of the border, Platanus mexicanus which is not as susceptible to powdery mildew. It also has beautiful silvery color on the abaxial surface of the leaf.

On Sep 28, 2015, Captleemo from Angleton, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I bought a house in 1998 that didn't have any trees. I tried planting a couple of oak trees but they died. My girlfriend gave me a small seedling from one of her Sycamores and I planted it but thought it would go the way of the oak trees. Boy was I wrong! It took to the soil like me to a hot pancake. About a year later she gave me another one that I planted in the back yard and now I have two beautiful trees that completely changed the look of my property for the better. I planted them around 2003 and 2005 and they both are over 25 feet tall. They are the bain of the neighborhood though in the fall when the enormous leaves start to fall. You can expect 5 to 7 feet of growth per year at least that's how fast mine have grown here south of Houston TX. I really like mine.

On Aug 11, 2015, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

This grows to be a large shade tree and is best used in large yards or parks. It is also a common tree of open woods, wetlands, and long watercourses; native from southern New England to eastern Nebraska to east Texas to northern Florida. It is fast growing of about 2.5 to 3.5 feet/year and lives about 250 to 350 years. It is tolerant of urban conditions of heat, drought, and pollution where it is often used as a street tree, even though it is messy with falling twigs, pieces of bark, and round dry buttonball fruit (borne singly). It often losses most of the first crop of leaves to anthracnose fungus from cool, wet spring conditions and its foliage is browned by Sycamore Lacebug in late summer. No autumn color but beautiful bark. The University of Illinois has planted lots of this species ... read more

On May 11, 2014, villandra from Austin, TX wrote:

If sycamore trees are self pruning and always drop branches before they can die and then the dead branches just sit there, I'd suggest collecting seeds from the one at Georgian and Fawnridge in North Austin. 9103 Fawnridge comes up when you click on the house in Google Maps. In street view the tree comes up. Now Google must have visited in fall, because at the moment the tree has healthy bright green leaves on all the living branches.

When I first saw it I didn't know what kind of tree it was, and thought that the fact that something clearly ate most of its bark accounted for the extensive dead branches. (The bark normally looks like that.)

This is the first time in my life I have ever seen a Sycamore tree, and I don't see what the issue is with their l... read more

On Apr 7, 2014, jungle_of_palms from Clearwater, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

-Depending on the region of North America, this may be the best native 'last resort' tree for surviving in a dense, polluted urban environment. New Haven, CT for example, has many sycamores as street trees, being out-competed in uncontrolled areas by only Ailanthus.
-Interesting, peeling bark.

-Still not a great street tree, although it is among the hardiest, it will drop large branches (often live ones) onto cars and pedestrians below.
-The leaves are large, thick, and begin to turn brown and fall off long before any other tree in many areas.
-Those leaves, by the way, seem to take forever to decompose. Leaves that dried up in late July are still blowing around the following April, making a long term mess.
-The ones ar... read more

On Nov 18, 2011, victorengel from Austin, TX wrote:

Contrary to the previous comment about branches, although I don't typically see dead branches on trees, I've seen way too many incidents of living branches breaking off trees. These are sometimes very large and potentially very damaging when they fall. This seems to be an issue here in Austin at least, more than any other tree I've seen. Other trees will drop dead branches. This one drops live branches. Yikes.

On Nov 15, 2010, Gardeningman from Kingman, KS (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love the American Sycamore tree. It is a very, very good tree. The reason why it drops twigs, is because it is self pruning. You never see a dead branch in a Sycamore tree, which is one of the reasons why it looks so beautiful. I often see dead branches in elms, maples, and oaks. Their dead branches persist and usually need to be mechanically removed.
Someone earlier made the comment that these trees die after 100 years old. This is not true. Sycamore trees can live to over 500 years old.
For those who complain about the leaves, my suggestion to you is don't plant any tree except for the Bald Cypress, because all trees produce leaves that need to be raked except for the Bald Cypress.
A few people made the comment that the American Sycamore lost its leave... read more

On Sep 16, 2010, ktdid2840 from Glenview, IL wrote:

Zone 5 encourages late leaf-out for the Sycamore. It is the perfect tree to under plant with early spring bulbs and plants. The red peonies passed down to me from my mother have thrived under the sycamore tree for twenty years even though they are in deep shade for most of the summer! The red tulips nestled among the hosta, forsythia and kerria are also gorgeous in the spring under the tree. Closer to the drip line I planted a rhododendron five years ago. It gets bigger and more beautiful each year. This tree is a beauty and worth the trouble of picking up a few twigs!

On Sep 14, 2010, bobsgirl from Lincoln, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have a 40 yr. old Sycamore in my front yard. I love it. It is a beautiful tree, the bark is so unique and pretty. The twigs that fall are always interesting, they have much different characteristics than most tree branches. I will admit that it can be messy, but what tree isn't? It really doesn't take very long to go out and pick up after it. I think the leaves are cool too. I have always loved the scent Sycamores have, especially in the spring and summer after it rains.

On Sep 14, 2010, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

There are many sycamores in the Pennsylvania river valley where I live. The best planted specimens are in large open spaces such as cemeteries and campuses.

These grow naturally in corridors along the river and along highways but rarely seem to be healthy and able to obtain their natural form. Perhaps the tree's native habitat is frequently adapted to farmland and housing.

There are a few of these planted in the downtowns here and they seem to be a poor choice. They are out of scale (too large) for the narrow streetscapes of our region where trees are usually planted within 6-12 feet of the houses. The roots frequently damage the sidewalks. They drop quite a bit of bark and their seed balls are messy as well. The leaves blow around due to their large size an... read more

On Sep 13, 2010, cfbloom from Marengo, IL wrote:

All the complaints about the sycamore may be true, but they can also be positive.
I was attempting to convert an overused pasture back into a woodlot here in northern Illinois. Most of the topsoil was eroded by cattle and few of what I consider to be quality hardwood and pine trees would grow. The reforestation started with box elder, silver maple, alder & locust that provided some shelter and shade for the hardwood seedlings that are native in our area.
Then I discovered that sycamore (also native) likes the clay just fine. It tolerates bone dry hard pan clay, but will grow fastest in the lower, swampy areas. It will grow taller and faster than cottonwood. I've removed the cottonwood and replaced it with sycamore in the wet areas.
The biggest enemy of trees, espe... read more

On Sep 13, 2010, katpages from Thornton, PA wrote:

We have 3 beautiful Sycamores along the front of our cottage that are about 90 years old. From personal experience, I would NEVER intentinally plant them, but they are ours, so we enjoy their beauty and make the best of them...the twigs and branches that fall frequently make great kindling...I have also bulit an attractive stick wall curving around my large bed of vinca surrounding one of them. We gather their bark and use it for pathways and mulch. Like someone mentioned, they are the last trees to get their leaves in the Spring and the first ones to lose them in the fall. Some of them are as big as as a foot across. The balls make a dirty and irritating dust. We are constantly cleaning off our car. These trees are for large properties away from garden beds. If it weren't for their beauty... read more

On Sep 13, 2010, roses39 from Center, TX wrote:

if you are intrested in this tree, ignore the negative comments. My place is inherited from family . there was a huge Sycamore about 100 years in age in the front area. At 100 years they tend to die. In the interval tho, they are awesome, and a joy. The fresh late sprinf foliage against the darker earlier foliage is wonderful. The sheets of shed bark made wonderful plates and platters for my playhouse as a child and the seed balls were wonderful amo in the fall for when all the kids came in for holidays. It is a majestic tree. Mama had me rake the fall leaf for putting on top of the sweet potato cover and for putting over tender bulb areas. Iby spring they were a lacy remnant of last summer. ALL trees that drop their leaf cover in the fall can be a mess for those who just cannot tolerat... read more

On Sep 13, 2010, alzone7 from Gadsden, AL wrote:

This is a beautiful tree -- way down at the edge of some woods, but NOT in a yard. All summer and fall it drops lots of big curly leaves that blow into the neighbor's yards and just lie there for weeks if no one cleans them up. It's also very weak wood because of the rapid growth, and big limbs will break off, not to mention lots of sticks that fall all the time. A local nursery owner talked us into planting one in our front yard years ago and I still haven't forgiven him. ;-) After years of cleaning up the mess from our yard and the neighbors', we finally shelled out the money to have it cut down and planted a nice willow oak that has served us much better.

On Sep 13, 2010, Laura07631 from Englewood, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

The Sycamore is considered a hardy city tree and is planted all over the streets of New York City. It is indeed messy but what I dislike most about it is that it is the last to leaf out in the spring and then starts turning brown and dropping leaves in late summer/early fall. Since trees are supposed to add beauty (and air filtering) to city streets, why choose one with such a short green season?

On Sep 13, 2010, localyokel from Belleview, FL wrote:

Growing up we had a sycamore in the front yard in NE Ohio and now living in central Florida I have a very very tall one in my side yard. I knew going in that it was considered a messy tree. Yes, it sheds bark and yes, it drops a lot of leaves...But - during the summer it's tall large canopy of leaves keeps the house and porch lovely and cool. It makes it all worthwhile!

On Sep 13, 2010, oldleander from Huntingdon, PA wrote:

A beautiful tree, but the roots will wreck havoc with sidewalks and lawns!

On Feb 29, 2008, mrs_colla from Marin, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Where we live this tree drops huge leaves all year round, except in winter when it is bare. It never looks fresh and healthy.
Ugly leaves get everywhere and are hard to pick up and they take for ever to decompose when left in a flowerbed.
I don't have this tree but my neighbour does.

On Nov 18, 2006, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I didn't know that American Sycamore were hardy to zone 4 at all - every book say it is zone 5 even though a few hints at they were once native to far southeast part of Minnesota until my Woody Landscape Class and my teacher took the class to a house near the St. Paul Campus and there was one huge tree growing just fine and my jaw dropped. They are very commonly planted in zone 5 and 6.

On May 28, 2006, Idiopath from Austin, TX wrote:

The house I bought last year came with a large sycamore in the front yard, likely 50+ years old. It's a great shade tree, and I'm sure it helps to keep my house and yard a bit cooler, but it's been shedding sheets of bark all over the place.

On Feb 1, 2006, raisedbedbob from Walkerton, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I tried planting two Sycamores with no success. Each summer they became infected with Powdery Mildew. While not a fatal fungus infection, it sure made the leaves look awful. I finally got tired of wasting money on fungicides and I removed them from the landscape.

On Aug 5, 2005, rochha from Owings, MD wrote:

This tree does have a sweet smelling scent especially on hot sunny humid days, smells sort of like sweet human sweat. I only noticed it when I started to grow some seedlings, Then I smelled their leaves and noticed it, It is not a strong smell but it is there, if you are near a Sycamore see if you can smell it. get downwind of the tree. Also it's seedlings leaves do not have that classic Maple leaf shape, I noticed I have never seen a Sycamore tree smaller than 5 feet, so I grew some seedlings to see why, it's cause they look totally different than the adult. Their are more fan shaped.

On Apr 2, 2005, escambiaguy from Atmore, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

These are very large stately trees. Because of their extensive root system, they are very windfirm. However it's a shame they have a problem with anthracnose. It kills off new growth in the spring which creates a "witch's broom" of new growth afterwards and makes the tree look sort of deformed.

On Jan 22, 2005, kayaker from Milton, VT (Zone 4a) wrote:

A bit of caution to those who wish to collect seeds from the seed balls:

The tiny hairs on the fruit clusters can irritate the skin and, if inhaled, the respiratory passage. The chaff and dust generated during processing of fruits to extract the seeds is dangerous, and people who do this must wear protective masks. Sometimes the growing roots can clog sewers and damage sidewalks, and fallen leaves can clog drains. American sycamore is a fast growing tree. Don't plant it too close to buildings and utility lines!

On Dec 22, 2004, TREEHUGR from Now in Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

The mighty sycamore as I call it, is a FL native to mostly the upper left hand side of the state but they are growing successfully much farther south. I have seen them as far as palm beach county and I have seen them growing in what looks like pure sand along the river in brevard county. Older sycamores have been found with hollow trunks. (think Winnie The Pooh's home) If you're looking for fast shade, plant a mighty sycamore. Although they have a reputation for not being such great trees in storms, all the sycamores in my area survived the recent hurricanes with flying colors.

On May 30, 2004, rjyellow from Circle Pines, MN wrote:

I have found almost 300 sycamores growing in the St. Paul / Minneapolis Minnesota area. The winter hardiness of sycamores in this area of the country is questionable. Yet, a large portion of these 300 trees, have to be 40 to 50 years old. I have tried over and over to find these trees in the area nurseries for purchase, but with no luck. I can only wonder where these sycamores came from that are now growing so magnificently in Minnesota.

On Apr 16, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

These trees can grow to great size in my area. most are found in the wild along creek and river banks. Most folk hesitate to plant them in their yards because of the large leaves, seed balls and shedding bark that has to be cleaned up.

They are hardy and quite beautiful and stand out in a landscape.

On Feb 8, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I saw American Sycamores in Caxambu, a rather cold town north of here, planted along the margins of a river in the city park. These were planted in the middle of 19th century, and didnt grow very much since then. The white trunk and foliage were gorgeous.

I dont know, but when I walked near those trees I sensed a sweet scent. I dont know if it came from the trees, or the water.. I dont know.

On Feb 8, 2004, dogbane from New Orleans, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This tree is sometimes used along streets because of its ability to withstand, and even thrive in, harsh environments. The only drawback I see is the huge number of large leaves it drops in the Fall. I don't mind the clean up, but others do. The one on my block is in front of my neighbor's house and it takes the two of us to keep up with the leaves. Small branches and twigs are brittle and fall ofen in even moderate winds.

On Feb 8, 2004, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.)
The American sycamore is sometimes confused with the several other trees in the same genus which are similar in appearance. If the tree has single seedpods, it is an American sycamore. If there are two seedpods together, it is a London planetree (Platanus X acerfolia). If there are 3-5 seedpods, it is an Oriental planetree (P. orientalis) which has the seedpods hanging like beads. All three have lobed maple-like leaves, but each is slightly different. American sycamore's leaf lobes are wider than long. London planetree's leaf lobes are about as wide as they are long. Oriental planetree's leaf lobes that are much longer than wide and deeply incised. London planetree is a hybrid between the American sycamore (Platanus occidentalis) and the oriental planetree.
... read more

On Sep 7, 2003, Glowclubbr from Silver Spring, MD wrote:

One tree I planted in Kingsville, Ontario in a low lying area with sandy loam soil grew 30' in 5 years. However on dry sites with heavy turf competition, it can also grow slowly. Do not use this tree on dry sites unless your don't mind summer leaf drop. Trees in the long gone old growth forest grew 170' tall, up to 15' in diameter, and lived 500 years.

On Sep 2, 2001, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This fast growing,deciduous tree can reach the height 80 feet and 60 feet wide under urban conditions,but much larger in the wild.The flowers are monoecious,with separate male and female flowers that are deep red and bloom in late March.The fruit is rounded,fuzzy looking, tannish brown and are 1 inch in diameter.The trunk and upper branches are impressively mottled where thin,irregular patches of brown bark that falls away to reveal the white inner bark.Prefers moist,deep,rich soils in full sun,but is very adaptable to a wide variety of soils,including dry soils,wet soils, compacted soils,poor soils.This makes an excellent shade tree in a large area,as a child I spent many an afternoon playing in the shade of the one we had.