American Smoketree, Chittamwood, Wild Smoke Tree, Yellow Wood

Cotinus obovatus

Family: Anacardiaceae (an-a-kard-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cotinus (ko-TYE-nus) (Info)
Species: obovatus (ob-oh-VAY-tus) (Info)
Synonym:Cotinus americanus
Synonym:Rhus cotinoides

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Anniston, Alabama

Plymouth, Massachusetts

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Saint Louis, Missouri

New Hampton, New Hampshire

Cincinnati, Ohio (2 reports)

Columbus, Ohio

Lexington, Virginia

Richmond, Virginia

Waterford, Wisconsin

On Oct 26, 2014, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

I saw some maturing plants planted at Jenkins Arboretum in part shade, as this site is full of big trees. They had a nice golden fall color in the part shade. Looks like a nice American native large shrub or small tree. It is native to various spots in the South. Morton Arboretum in northeast Illinois has a few good specimens in its Midwest Collection. They are all green in leaf while the Eurasian Smoketree has a number of cultivars with red-purple foliage all season long.

On Dec 9, 2010, plantaholic186 from Winnetka, IL wrote:

Such a beautiful tree. The first to change color in my garden, at the beginning of September! The colors start off peach and turn hot orange and then red. Stunning.
This is a very slow growing tree, unlike the smokebush Cotinus coggygria.

On Oct 4, 2010, heygeno from Columbus, OH wrote:

This plant started growing from a stone wall I built about 20 years ago and I just figured that the seed came from all the mulching I do every year from wood chips I get from tree service.
I cut it all the way back every year --and it just keeps coming ! I like the purple much more. ( z 5 )

On Jan 13, 2010, AngelaChurch from Patea
New Zealand wrote:

I bought my current property seven months ago and have finally identified my Cotinus obovatus by emailing a photo to Rhys Caunter at Trees R Us here in New Zealand! My tree is very, very old. It has fallen down some time ago. Of the three original branches, two remain growing. I'm from Nova Scotia originally and have been sort of stuck here due to the Hague Convention for the Child for a long time so to find another NA native here is just, like, far out, man!!! :)

On Apr 3, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

The rarest tree in the plant trade - two are found on the University of Minnesota St. Paul Campus but I hadn't seen them anywhere else.

On Oct 28, 2006, Decumbent from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

Exceptional foliage in all seasons, but especially in fall. This tree seems prone to verticilium wilt and therefore needs to be planted in dry soil.

On Feb 6, 2005, nick89 from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

An intresting small, frequently contorted tree of limestone uplands that is common in some places here and rare to nonexisistent in others. Flowers are not very showy. The second or third largest specimen in Madison County, Alabama resides in the woods behind my house.

On Jan 13, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This species grows bigger than the more common purple smokebush. Its leaves are green, its "smoke" is much bigger, more colorful, and persists into winter, giving a long season of interest. Seeds readily germinate when ripe, they can be sown immediately or stored; stratification not needed.

On Aug 31, 2001, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Grow in average, medium wet, well-drained soil in full sun. Adaptable to wide range of soils, including poor rocky soils, but prefers well-drained, somewhat infertile loams