Garden Phlox
Phlox paniculata 'Peppermint Twist'

Family: Polemoniaceae (po-le-moh-nee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phlox (floks) (Info)
Species: paniculata (pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Peppermint Twist

Manassas, Virginia

Vancouver, Washington

Oostburg, Wisconsin

On Aug 4, 2014, kooger from Oostburg, WI (Zone 5b) wrote:

This flower is so pretty; I lots of comments about it. Usually I have a few stalks that are pink but this year I also have two white stalks. I really like the combo of all three but will remove some of the reverted stalks if they start becoming too plentiful.

On Dec 28, 2008, SunnyBorders from Aurora, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

I would say positive, but have a problem mentioned by erdooley. I purchased four of this cultivar for my garden in 2007 from a garden center. They were in flower. This year (2008) all four flowered again and looked healthy (no weak or spindly stalks). However, two of these plants had pink-only flowered stalks along with stalks with the expected pink and white pin-wheel flowers.

'Peppermint Twist' arose as a branch mutation of 'Candy Floss' (Jan Verschoor (2006?)), which is pink. The patent description of 'Peppermint Twist' says "The phenotype may vary somewhat with variations in environment and cultural practices such as temperature and light intensity without, however, any variance in genotype".

I did E-mail Darwin PlantSpotters (the introducers), on Aug ... read more

On Aug 7, 2008, erdooley from Decatur, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a beautiful plant, if it performs for you. I orderd 5, but some of the stalks were weak and spindly, and some of the blooms were solid pink instead of white and pink. I'd say 2 of the plants are robust, but have mixed blooms (as you can see in my photo), and the other 3 were punier. I don't know if the quality of plants I received was due to the fact that's a new variety, or it was a crummy mail order company. (I can't remember who it was...) Still worth it I guess, because it's stunning!