Euphorbia
Euphorbia lactea 'Rainbow Crest'

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: lactea (lak-TAY-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Rainbow Crest

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Inconspicuous/none

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

By grafting

Liberty Hill, Texas

Mc Kinney, Texas

Plano, Texas

negative

On Feb 29, 2012, chuck7701 from McKinney, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Commonly known as Coral Cactus (stores), I found the following info on it after I bought one Feb. 2102. Couldn't resist the temptation to buy it at half price. Have not had the plant long enough to comment on it yet. Supposedly easy to grow, avoid over watering.

"Coral Cactus is not a true cactus, it is only grafted on a cactus. It is a Euphobia Lactea Crest grafted to a cactus. Crest are rare in the wild but with so many new techniques they are easily found."

On Oct 15, 2009, mgeno from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

I just picked up one of these, apparently scarce, Euphorbia lactea plants at Ikea for a really low price. The research I've done so far leads me to believe this plant will be easy if I keep it in a sunny spot and avoid watering much. One website said that it needs only one watering over the winter months. Im not sure if that's for all zones or if it's true of the area the writer was in. Also, judging by the photos here, this crest gets grafted onto all kinds of cactus stalks. I suppose that could have an impact on the plant's chances of flourishing.

On Nov 26, 2008, mschaffer from Edna, TX wrote:

I bought this plant from Home Depot about a month ago and the plant is getting some soft dark green mushy spots and turning very soft, not doing very well at all. I have heard this Cacti is suppose to be hardy for the begginer but mine is dying. I keep it on my kitchen window sill.

On Jul 13, 2007, Xenomorf from Valley of the Sun, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

A Crested form of the species. Comes in many many different color combinations of body and thorns.
This plant may be available at tropiflora.com, or C&O Nursery (online), or buried-treasure.net