Viburnum 'Emerald Triumph'

Family: Adoxaceae (a-dox-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Viburnum (vy-BUR-num) (Info)
Cultivar: Emerald Triumph
Hybridized by Minnesota Agricultural Experiment Station
Registered or introduced: 1994

Good Fall Color

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Iowa City, Iowa

Clermont, Kentucky

Georgetown, Kentucky

Lexington, Kentucky

Louisville, Kentucky

Missoula, Montana

On Jul 7, 2015, missoulamama from Missoula, MT wrote:

I've given this plant a neutral rating because I am still waiting/hoping for it to perform. This is the 3rd summer since I planted it. I was hoping for it to reach 8 to 10 feet, as the tag suggested when I purchased it. It has barely grown over the original 4 feet. I pruned it hard at the base which has forced nearly a foot of growth so it is now maybe almost 5 feet tall. My ninebark and mockorange are outperforming this plant by a long shot!

A warning - the flowers smell Disgusting!! And virtually zero fruit. I am wondering if that is because many pollinators are not 'awake' when the plant is in bloom. I am in Montana so the weather can be unpredictable and this is an early bloomer. I planted this shrub in hopes of attracting birds because of its fruits. That has yet... read more

On Mar 27, 2010, penwoods from Iowa City, IA wrote:

I do like the 'Emerald Triumph' viburnum. It has a good branching structure that looks good when bare through the winter. It grows slowly, and I like that because garden space is a problem for me. After 8 years, this viburnum has kept it's nicely rounded shape without needing much pruning. The only problem: it has never produced any berries, not one. I would like to know what I can do to help this great bush produce berries. Can anyone advise me on this?

On Jul 15, 2007, ViburnumValley from Scott County, KY (Zone 5b) wrote:

'Emerald Triumph' viburnum is another outstanding introduction from Dr. Harold Pellet's industrious innovations at the Hardy Plant Center and the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum.

A vigorous but compact shrub, 'Emerald Triumph' is V. x rhytidophylloides 'Alleghany' x V. burejaeticum, and has the guts to tolerate severe upper midwestern conditions and the backbone to survive the vagaries of the Ohio River valley region. This plant flowers heavily on young plants; carries dark green clean lustrous foliage through the summer; offers 3-4 weeks of red fruit before maturing to black; and has very nice fall color of primarily red but some yellow and orange interior foliage color as well.

If one needed an individual specimen of uniform rounded habit, or a tallish hedge ... read more