Ixora, Flame of the Woods, Jungle Flame, Jungle Geranium 'Maui Red'

Ixora coccinea

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Ixora (iks-OR-uh) (Info)
Species: coccinea (kok-SIN-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Maui Red

New Ulm, Texas

Roma, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

On Jul 22, 2012, zoiesmom from Tuttle, OK wrote:

I gave this a neutral rating because I bought 2 plants; planted them 2 feet apart in the same bed. One is flourshing, healthy and beautiful, the other the leaves are curling and dropping. Don't think it's gonna make it to dinnertime.
What did I do wrong?

On Mar 19, 2012, johnchen99 from Livermore, CA wrote:

Slow growing in Livermore, CA due to low humidity. These re grown partial shade under giant king palms and senegal palms.

On Jan 15, 2012, coastalzonepush from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

this ixora is exceptional for large blooms and tropical color. i can't decide if i like this one better than 'nora grant'. but unfortunately, i lost mine over the summer (still don't know how) so i will just have to get another because it is a must have for me.

On Jan 1, 2011, wormfood from Lecanto, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got tired of the poor thing getting hit with cold weather just as it's flowering. So I dug it up, split the multi stemmed root, and stuck what broke off into the wet soil. It probably won't bloom this year but there wasn't a dead branch in the bunch.

On Dec 18, 2010, Nicole65 from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

I have had my plant for several years and love it. However, it looks really scrawny - long branches but doesn't seem as full as it did when I bought it. If I cut it back, will it regrow?

On Dec 10, 2010, ThomPotempa from Houston, TX wrote:

One of my wife's favorite flowers.

They looked really ugly after the freeze last winter. I whacked off everything down to the roots and covered them with mulch (yah, I know, its a yankee thing).

They came back

On Jul 8, 2008, Tetrazygia from Miami, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Connie, Ixoras will take full sun but look MUCH better in partial shade. Ixoras planted in rich, acidic soil and shade from a high canopy really thrive.

On Apr 13, 2008, Connie_G from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I had about 6 of these last summer and they bloomed constantly as an "understory" plant on my deck. I looked them up and it says Sun to Part Shade, so this year I planted them by the pool...full sun. NO BLOOMS since those they had at Home Depot when I got them!

What's wrong? Do they not like our sun? It's not even June yet! Do I need to move them? I have a place to move some of them...I bought about 15!!

On Jul 23, 2007, Jode from Rowlett, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I just LUV this plant! Hines Horticulture notes: Evergreen perennial to 40F, annual in colder regions. Bright red flower clusters in summer. Protect from frost. Home Depot notes: Cold Hardiness 40-30F. Protect from drying winds and hot afternoon sun. Thrives in semi-moist, well-drained acidic soil.