Mitragyna speciosa

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Mitragyna
Species: speciosa (spee-see-OH-suh) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Key West, Florida

Orlando, Florida

Sarasota, Florida

Santa Fe, Texas

Renton, Washington

On Aug 19, 2015, nifty413 from Garland, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

The leaves of this plant have many beneficial medicinal qualities. The species is one of the most useful, yet overlooked, of the ethnobotanicals/homeopathics in western medicine.

On Jul 12, 2012, kbschmida from Tallahassee, FL wrote:

I bought 2 rooted cuttings to add the plant to my medicinal plant collection. They love the long, hot humid summers here, but have to be taken inside when temps dip below 50F or the huge leaves will start to fall off. The trees rapidly grow too big to be moved! Fortunately, they grow well from green cuttings, potted in sterile medium inside ziplocs under lights with or without rooting hormone, so you can start fresh every year.

Do not let the soil dry out on hot sunny days or they will wilt and scorch! They are heavy drinkers and feeders. Outdoors, few pests. Indoors, spider mites are a major problem, whiteflies and aphids less so.

From a distance, they look like avocado trees, but on close inspection, you notice the unique spearhead-shaped bud sheaths, which ... read more

On Dec 1, 2011, ggrowler from Fruitville, FL wrote:

I ordered this tree from as a rooted & potted cutting in early May of 2011. It was in fabulous condition when it arrived after three days in the mail.

I was told that it would need to adjust to my area (9b) but that where it grows naturally in Thailand has a very similar to climate to that of Florida. The tree took off within a month, and has branched out beautifully; I initially had a small issue with aphids, but I dusted it, and haven't seen any bugs since.

What I've learned so far about this tree:
It prefers partial sunlight as a young tree; direct full sun will burn it.
One can scarcely over-water it. Remember it's indigenous to a rain-forest.
One should bring the tree inside if temperatures fall below 45F. (This is w... read more

On Jun 12, 2008, Dracoaureus from Oneonta, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I think I may have waited too long on the planting, I guess seeds are not viable for any length of time. Will put in my own pictures if they do!

On Jul 27, 2007, thetripscaptain from Racine, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Leaves can be used as a stimulant and pain killer but there are some side effects. This plant is indigenous to Thailand where it is actually illegal. It's a gorgeous tree, though. Great addition to a tropical garden or ethnobotanical collection.