Autumn Sage, Cherry Sage, Gregg's Sage, Texas Sage 'Navajo Bright Red'

Salvia greggii

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: greggii (GREG-ee-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Navajo Bright Red
» View all varieties of Salvias

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Houston, Alabama

Elba, New York

Carrollton, Texas

Portland, Texas

On Jul 4, 2008, dancingbear27 from Elba, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is a beautiful salvia! It is a bright red but has a bluish tone so I would consider it a cherry red instead of tomato red. Mine also has a white tie-die look to the lower petals. My hummingbirds love this. It has been blooming all summer. Unfortunately will be an annual in my zone. Will try to save it though.

On Jul 30, 2007, alleycallie from Sylvan Grove, KS wrote:

I bought two red Navajo salvia plants at an end of the season grocery store sale and it grows beautifully in my alkaline soil in north central Kansas. It is absolutely carefree, drought tolerant, and blooms constantly from early summer to frost.

I have searched high and low for more of this plant in garden centers from mid-Kansas to Kansas City, all along I-70 and have never found this plant again. A local nursery can order Navajo Rose and Navaho Orange, but not red. A cousin who vacations in Santa Fe, NM is ordering from a nursery there and getting me more than will be shipped in early fall. I therefore assume that it grows easily in the southwest.

I have no other information, but stress that it is hardy in my zone, the cusp of 5/6, and recommend it highly.<... read more

On Jul 29, 2007, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Beautiful bright red Salvia flowers for the Hummingbirds to enjoy! I have about 8 of these plants in pots and/or in the ground. I love it and hoping the ones in the ground survive the Winter.