Philodendron brandtianum

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Philodendron (fil-oh-DEN-dron) (Info)
Species: brandtianum
Synonym:Philodendron pictum

Partial to Full Shade

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

On Feb 27, 2013, pniksch from Frisco, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a plant for collectors who can give it a little extra pampering- that's why you probably won't find it anywhere near the big box stores. It needs a bit of extra care to look its best, including a warm environment- it can't take the cold that many other philodendrons do. I suspect that the designation of hardy to 30 is not accurate (see other comments) This one HATES cold. Also, mine suffered from mites (once in the last 3 years), which I was able to eliminate with malathion. Having said that, it's an attractive climber, and I still think it's worth the effort.

I'm not sure that I agree that a plant deserves a 'negative' rating because it doesn't thrive outside during a zone 8 winter (see rating/comment below). That standard, applied to most tropicals and "housepl... read more

On Apr 26, 2011, texvette2 from Anderson, TX wrote:

Outside our area is 8 so brought this plant for my enclosed
breezeway. It is sheltered 3 sided by the house.
This winter was unusually cold it got down into the low
50's in there. The plant looked like it froze, leaves
became mushy, drip moisture, turned yellow and fell
off. The stems appear Ok. So this is a very tender
plant even if inside.

On Feb 23, 2011, annlof from Camarillo, CA wrote:

I was given a rooted cutting of this philodendron and planted it outside in my zone 10 shade garden in a very sheltered spot. In winter it experienced temps in the low 40s at night and didn't fare well at all. (The leaves turned yellow and fell off.) On a hunch that the roots were still alive, I dug them up and potted the plant and put it under fluorescent lights with my African Violets. I could almost hear this little vine sigh with relief and it's put out new foliage and seems to be thriving in a warm, humid indoor environment.

My conclusion: definitely a houseplant, even in zone 10.