PlantFiles: Tropical Hibiscus, Cajun Hibiscus
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Bon Temps'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: rosa-sinensis (RO-sa-sy-NEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Bon Temps
Additional cultivar information: (Cajun Series)
Hybridized by Dupont

Thumbnail #2 of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis by Kell

By amorecuore
Thumbnail #3 of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis by amorecuore

Positive JoySwede On Apr 10, 2014, JoySwede from Baudette, MN wrote:

This is, by far, my favorite blooming plant. It combines the beautiful deep pinks and sunshine yellows I crave in the summer, with enormous tropical-looking flowers that are not a common site up North. I have had this plant for about 6 years. It won a champion ribbon in the potted flowering plant competition at our county fair, the one year that I brought it. In its pot, it stands about 6' tall. It does tend to drop leaves in the winter, when I bring it into the house. The air is quite dry in most Minnesota homes in the winter. But every year, when I bring it back outside, it perks right up and very quickly starts a flower show!

Positive erjeffery On May 6, 2011, erjeffery from Baton Rouge, LA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I bought this plant from a local nursery two years ago. It's been transplanted twice into successively larger containers as it has grown. From experience I have learned to bring this plant in during the winter, keeping it where it gets bright indirect sunlight until spring. Mine has bloomed indoors in late fall and in early spring. I have had occasional trouble with white flies, but Bayer Tree and Shrub liquid concentrate takes care of the problem - I treat in early spring once the plant has been moved back outside. This plant likes regular watering but not to be overwatered - underwatering causes wilted and drab leaves with bud drop, overwatering causes leaves to yellow and fall off. Blooms are over 6" across and beautifully vivid.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana