Coneflower
Echinacea 'Tiki Torch'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinacea (ek-in-AY-shee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Tiki Torch
Additional cultivar information:(PP18839)
Hybridized by Korlipara
Registered or introduced: 2008

Orange

This plant is resistant to deer

Patented

New Milford, Connecticut (2 reports)

Atlanta, Georgia

Knoxville, Tennessee

Petersburg, West Virginia

Madison, Wisconsin

On Jul 22, 2013, soreal597 from Mount Carmel, OH wrote:

I bought the Tiki Torch Coneflower and planted it in a bed at the back of my yard. Unfortunately, this area is often frequented by deer. The deer kept munching on the plants, so this past fall, I moved them to a spot closer to our house. They survived quite well, but bloomed white. I noticed on the forum about 3 or 4 suggested ph's for soil for this plant. I am wondering if I need to put lime on this in the fall to regain the flowers former color.

On Feb 3, 2011, jpgreen from Roswell, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

The only orange cone flower that doesn't turn pink in our intense sun and and blooms for months even in drought.

On Aug 19, 2010, weedsfree from Magna, UT (Zone 7a) wrote:

EU27430 - to add to the info of the plant.

On Jun 5, 2010, LDoll from Finksburg, MD wrote:

Planted two last year and they did great. Both came back in the spring so I bought more. Now one from last year died and so did one of the new ones! My purple cones are right next to them and 3 times their size. I think I'm going to hold off on anymore of the new varieties until they improve the genetics. Live in Maryland.

On Apr 15, 2010, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This plant was a weak performer for me. Everytime it would try growing in spring the newest growth would wilt and die even in the best of weather. I wouldn't recommend this unless you like maintenance.

On Mar 21, 2010, kentstar from Ravenna, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I planted one of these in spring 2009. Never got one bloom at all! Really disappointing. Hopefully this year will be better.

Update: this year is DEFINITELY better! It is blooming up a storm and is so lovely and tall! I guess it just takes some time to adjust. Mine is in part sun too! Nice!

On Aug 1, 2009, michael6725 from New Milford, CT wrote:

I really have enjoyed this plant. I planted five last year, and they have all been blooming since mid June. I should mention that mine were fully rooted into gallon pots when I bought them. The color fades to a fantastic burnt pumpkin color, and the butterflies love it! It's well branched, and I look forward to using it for years to come. Like Mr. Tiki Torch, I too have paired it with cool colors. I have it with Monarda "blue stockings", echinacea "coconut lime", and an unknown blue monkshood.

On Jun 5, 2009, echinaceamaniac from (Clint) Medina, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant is not winter hardy here in Tennessee. I planted 4 of these last Spring. Only 1 of them returned. It is even smaller than it was last year.

You are lucky to have 2-3 blooms on these per year. The blooms are very small compared to the photos on Terra Nova's website. The color is nice, but this should be considered a very expensive annual and not a perennial.

I think people should use a lot of caution before spending good money for this cultivar.

On Sep 16, 2008, MrTikiTorch from New Milford, CT wrote:

Fantastic cultivar. Unlike some of the big sky series, this cultivar retains it bright pumpkin color for upwards of two weeks. The blooms are surrounded by a black central cone that looks fantastic grouped with the cool colors of echinacea coconut lime.

On Aug 10, 2007, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote: