Livingstone Daisy, Livingston Daisy, Ice Plant
Dorotheanthus bellidiformis

Family: Aizoaceae (ay-zoh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dorotheanthus (dor-uh-thee-AN-thus) (Info)
Species: bellidiformis (bel-id-EE-for-miss) (Info)
Synonym:Dorotheanthus criniflorus

Logan, Utah

Ogden, Utah

Spangle, Washington

On Mar 20, 2015, lljames from Burbank, CA wrote:

This species of daisy is popular in colder temperate climbs, however, I live in a drought area of southern California and our Springs can be temperate weather. Thus, I get away with growing these flowers for up to 4 months.

I plant them in October in a well mixed enriched soil with compost all along my walkways. I sprinkle the seeds carefully on the surface, tamp down with my flat shoes or hands. Then, sprinkle over the seeds a light soil mix to keep them well covered about 1/4 inch. Then, water or let the rains do their job.

The seedlings start to pop up around late December and early January. They fill in my walkways completely and the variety of bright color add cheer to the neighborhood people who walk by. Its like offering a bouquet of happiness ... read more

On Jun 15, 2013, pworden from Port Matilda, PA wrote:

My plants wilt in the sun. I'm not sure but it's possible that I transplanted them too deeply; that the base roots may be too close to the bottom of the containers. They are in long railing-type containers. They're quite happy in the cool morning but if I put them out where they get afternoon sun they wilt so badly they look nearly dead. They've just started to bloom and I wish I could give them sun but they wilt each time and it takes them quite awhile to recover. The soil is loamy, not clay - nice potting soil. Containers are the self-watering type but have no standing water. Any tips appreciated!

On Aug 19, 2009, Ian01 from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil wrote:

Light affects germination negatively: the seeds germinate, but the radicle don't develop (sow in darkness OR cover the seeds with a fine layer of soil is far, far better). Need a very free draining mix. Definitely mature plants dislike root disturbance.

On May 2, 2009, LJeske from Spangle, WA wrote:

Here in Spangle, WA (zone 5a/b) I have successfuly started seeds in my unheated greenhouse. Outside, the weather has been hovering around 30-33 degrees at night, so the greenhouse is sitting right around 35-40 inside. Daytime temperatures inside the greenhouse range from 55-75 depending on the amount of sun during the day. I'm really looking forward to these flowers. I purchased a plant last year and it wasn't as daily like. It appeared more like a moss rose than the daisy-like photos I see here. I'm hoping for the daisy look. Will keep site posted as plants progress.

On Dec 20, 2008, buggycrazy from Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b) wrote:

These are wonderful in hanging pots or planter edges for hot, sunny sites, try them mixed with portulaca too!

On Apr 15, 2008, debi_z from Springfield, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

another name for this plant is "go to bed" flower. why? because it opens with the sun and closes when it leaves.

On Mar 10, 2008, jrtinker from Palmer, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

This is a great front of the border plant, and does especially well along sunny pavement edges or trailing over rock walls. It is drought tolerant, and loves the edges of sidewalks. It is impossible to have too many.

On Feb 4, 2005, cacti_lover from Henderson, NV (Zone 9b) wrote:

These are fun to grow. I treat them like wild flowers by sowing them randomly where ever I like to see some colors. I do need to give them some watering for them to grow well. Mine had pink, orange, yellow and some are bi-color. Mine died after it goes to seed.

On Mar 29, 2004, germinator from Palmer, AK wrote:

Palmer, Alaska: Unfortunately, got off to a late start with seeds. Grew quite well, even in bad soil. Bloomed beautiful peach and neon pink colors. Had many blooms waiting to open in late August when moose came into the yard and ate every one of them to the ground. (By the way, the moose didn't touch my geraniums, nastursium, pansies, etc.)

Also grew from starts in Nikiski, Alaska. Bloomed absolutely awesome colors all summer, even survived one or two hard frosts!

On Jul 28, 2003, Gramax from Independence, OR (Zone 9b) wrote:

Mine has only neon fuchsia blooms, growing in a dense clump. Has overwintered one mild winter. Starts easily from cuttings; I haven't tried collecting seeds. Foliage resembles portulaca, but it's more dense.

On May 22, 2003, Oberon46 from (Mary) Anchorage, AK (Zone 4b) wrote:

Fairbanks, Alaska: I have grown these in the hot summer months with wonderful success. Gorgeous bright neon colors --- when there is sun. No sun --- no flowers (or rather they don't open. Still and all, a favorite with Portulaca nearby.

On Aug 30, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Livingston Daisies are a welcome spot of color in Seward, Alaska gardens in August. The riot of color is reminiscent of the Mexican crepe paper pans I can recall from youth... oranges, reds, hot pink, peach, yellow. The stems of this plant seem tenuous at best, but they manage to support the bulbous, hairy foliage and large blooms. The Livingstons are well suited to borders, rock gardens, and planters.

Seeds germinate at 70 degrees. Do not exclude light.