PlantFiles: Panicle Hydrangea, Tree Hydrangea
Hydrangea paniculata 'Pinky Winky'

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hydrangea (hy-DRAIN-juh) (Info)
Species: paniculata (pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Pinky Winky
Additional cultivar information: (PP16166, aka DVP Pinky)
Hybridized by Van Huylenbroeck; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2004

» View all varieties of Hydrangeas

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

Patented

Thumbnail #5 of Hydrangea paniculata by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #6 of Hydrangea paniculata by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #7 of Hydrangea paniculata by DaylilySLP

Positive hcsurprise On Jul 4, 2012, hcsurprise from Memphis, TN wrote:

I was given this plant as a bonus at a plant sale. It was tiny and I have waited a few years for it to grow and bloom. The stems are a nice redish brown but the flowers are pure white. Beautiful but not what I was expecting for Pinky Winky. I would say the plant was mislabeled but there is one picture posted that looks all white which makes me think it it just my environment. Any comments from others?

Positive Gracye On May 8, 2011, Gracye from Warrenton, VA wrote:

Hello! Before I plant my "Pinky WInky," I would greatly appreciate someone telling me if the root system is shallow or deep. I want to plant it over my well system, and I am concerned that the roots will become invasive. Can someone please help?
Update: 6/2012 - I planted it in another spot. Obviously, I, or the Hybridizer, did something RIGHT! My Pinky Winky is generous in health, growing lush, thick, straight, bushy while maintaining a perfect "candle" shape, and now it has immature blooms all over! Of all that I have planted, this shrub is easiest to admire and be proud of. It is, after one year, about 4' tall, and 3 1/2' wide. It just does not look real! I have no experience growing hydrangeas of any sort, but this is one exceptional shrub. It is shielded from strong wind and sun.

Positive stylingstella On Aug 2, 2010, stylingstella from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

It has taken 2 years, but my two pinky-winkies are doing quite well in zone 3 climate in northwestern Wisconsin. One plant in particular was damaged by deer in the first year, and I think it's going to take another year for it to really look good. But the other plant has lots of blooms and looks strong and healthy. I'm looking forward to seeing the pink color develop as we get into the fall season. Both plants are in very sandy soil, in full sun, with lots of mulch. They don't get that much care, but we've had a good amount of rainfall this year.

Positive gardening_pam On Jul 4, 2010, gardening_pam from Keswick

I bought 3 Pinky Winky Hydrangeas 2 summers ago and they are all doing really really well. They are all in different areas with different conditions and flower beautifully. I have one in a part shade location that is full and covered in flowers right now, another in a full sun, moist soil location and am training it to a standard form. The third is in a dry full sun location and is struggling a little more, not as full as the other, but flowering beautifully. With more water, I'm sure it will be more full and lush.

Positive quasymoto On Jun 22, 2010, quasymoto from Bloomfield, IA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I bought this and the first year did not get much growth. But in the fall I placed a wire basket around it and carefully filled w/leaves. This year it is short but has buds I am happy with it.
I put the leaves around it to protect during our S.E. Iowa Winter as I heard that could have been the reason a few other varieties of Hydrangea did not bloom. This year all but 1 have/are blooming, including some I had to transplant this spring. I have a lot of different hydrangeas .

Neutral bookreader451 On Aug 20, 2009, bookreader451 from Troy, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I ordered Pinky Winky this spring as a one gallon. So far I have been disappointed in the performance. I will give it another season to grow but the one gallon Limelight I planted much later has bloomed already.

Positive ngam On Aug 20, 2007, ngam from Southeast, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I like this shrub very much. It is new here this season but already is three feet tall and covered with flowers. There are blooms on every branch and they are held upright. It has nice dark reddish stems that contrast with the dark green foliage and two-toned pink and white flowers. The flowers bloom on new wood so a late spring frost will not prevent future flowers.

Petersburg, Indiana