English Rose, Austin Rose
Rosa 'Bishop's Castle'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Bishop's Castle
Additional cultivar information:(aka AUSbecks)
Hybridized by Austin
Registered or introduced: 2007

Class:

English Rose (aka Austin Rose)

Shrub

Habit:

Shrub

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Frankfort, Kentucky

Columbus, Ohio

Wadsworth, Ohio

On May 21, 2014, egcgardener from Edwardsville, IL wrote:

I have 3 of these beautiful plants. Mine are 4 years old.They get full sun and are covered with fragrant pink flowers throughout the summer and into fall. Their scent is wonderful. When taking a stem to bring inside, it's difficult to pick one because for every rose that has opened, there are 3 to 5 more buds on the stem waiting their turn. to open. I need to spray a fungicide every 6 weeks to keep black spot at bay but that's minor to enjoyment these roses bring.

On May 19, 2012, corik from Scarsdale New York
United States wrote:

I have 4 of these lovely looking, lovely smelling roses for about 3 years. They get full sun. I wasn't quite sure how hard to prune these, so I pruned them back slightly the second year. They gave several nice blooms, but not as many as I had hoped. They remained very compact and get a lot of black spot if we get 2 consecutive days of rain in the summer.
Then, this fall, as I was backing out of my garage, I accidentally ran over a cane, yikes. I felt awful! Within a week this rose put out 3 new basal canes which are currently full of buds! So, as far as pruning goes, the harder the better with this rose...or you can just ride over it and it'll know you are serious about your flowers!

On Sep 20, 2008, zaheer from Bartlett, IL wrote:

I purchased twenty or so roses from Jackson Perkins in spring of 2008. All different varieties (i.e. floribundas, english roses, climbers etc). Of all the various roses, the ones that really stood out were Bishops Castle English Rose and Black Cherry Floribunda. The Bishop Castle is a show stopping rose. I planted it in May 2008 and by now it has grown to a stooping 3 ft and bloomed at least 3 times this season. The only problem has been with Japanese Beetles. They seem to be attracted to the fragrance of this rose. So - I end up using Bayers Direct insecticide which seems to provide some protection while the rose is in bloom.
It would be interesting to see if the plant survives this winter season. I plan on giving it some winter protection. If it does survive the winters, I will bu... read more

On Jul 9, 2008, stephaniefl from Frankfort, KY wrote:

This rose has been very easy for me to grow. It has tons of blooms and does not seem to need as much water as my other roses.