PlantFiles: Aechmea, Bromeliad
Aechmea sphaerocephala

Family: Bromeliaceae (bro-mee-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Aechmea (EEK-mee-uh) (Info)
Species: sphaerocephala (sfay-ro-SEF-uh-luh) (Info)

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

By TamiMcNally
Thumbnail #1 of Aechmea sphaerocephala by TamiMcNally

By mellielong
Thumbnail #2 of Aechmea sphaerocephala by mellielong

By rareplantbroker
Thumbnail #3 of Aechmea sphaerocephala by rareplantbroker

Positive rareplantbroker On Jul 9, 2013, rareplantbroker from Fort Pierce, FL wrote:

When I finally managed to locate a specimen of this species for sale, the seller insisted that we had to divide it from the parent plant because of the spines. This plant had been grown in a shade house (I'm unaware of the %) and the leaves were elongated and the plant in itself wasn't very pretty. The following spring I planted it in a sandy area in full sun and the change was dramatic! A lovely huge rosette with wide, stiff, long (but not elongated) leaves! When I get a chance I'll upload a picture of the plant. The base of the leaves are dark and it's a very handsome plant. After first producing two pups, I removed the pups and planted them several feet from the parent. Now even those plants are now producing pups. Ours are planted in a low area and have actually survived being submerged in two feet of water for several days at a time. I've heard they take many years to bloom, so I guess I'll have to be patient.

Mackinleyville, California