PlantFiles: Garden Petunia
Petunia pendula 'Balcony Mix'

Genus: Petunia (peh-TEWN-ya) (Info)
Species: pendula (PEND-yoo-luh) (Info)
Cultivar: Balcony Mix
Additional cultivar information: (aka Pendula Balcony Mix)

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Purple

Thumbnail #1 of Petunia pendula by poppysue

Thumbnail #2 of Petunia pendula by poppysue

Thumbnail #3 of Petunia pendula by poppysue

Positive wodesorel On May 16, 2011, wodesorel from Columbiana County, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I just love these petunias! Unlike the more modern varieties that are found at greenhouses, these have no nasty smell or sticky stems. The flowers produce the most wonderful floral scent, very close to a sweet lily but not overpowering in the least. I planted just a few last year, but have started half a flat this year. Seeds were sown on February 28th, and I got my first flower (still under grow lights) May 15th, with the plants being barely three inches high.

I would recommend planting them in the ground rather than a pot. I tried it both ways last summer and the potted ones did very poorly and became root-bound and very leggy within just a few weeks. However, the ones I places in the ground were enormous and flowered very heavily until after the first light frost. They are a trailing type and will swallow up a smaller bed and the surrounding yard or driveway, and only got about 12 to 18 inches high. The colors are very pretty in a 'girly' way - pink, purple, and white.

Positive straea On Jun 29, 2008, straea from Somerville, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

NoelleChristine, it sounds like you fertilized it way too much. That could have made the lack of flowering worse, which happens in many plants - depending on the species of plant and the type of fertilizer, plants sometimes respond to fertilizer by producing foliage at the expense of flowers.

As to my own experience, I love the old-time look and smell of these beautiful flowers in a mix of a few colors (mine seem to usually be mostly pale lavender and pale rose, typically with a whitish center). If grown in a windy spot they benefit from staking. The one down side, as far as I'm concerned, is that their stems are a bit brittle and I have had some problems with squirrels breaking the stems when they dig around in my pots.

Positive berrygirl On Mar 12, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Small flowers in shades of lavender, pink and purple. Sweetly scented, especially at dusk. If deadheaded, they continue to bloom until the late fall freeze. Listed in catalogs in the 1920s and 1930s. Self sows.

Annual; 2-3 ft tall

Sowing Instructions
Depth: Surface
Flat temp: 65-75F
Sprout time: 5-20 Days
Tip: Sow indoors 8-10 weeks before planting out after frost or outdoors after frost in longer season areas.

Negative NoelleChrsitine On Jul 26, 2004, NoelleChrsitine from Burbank, CA wrote:

My first time with Petunias. I transplanted them into a hanging basket early this summer. A beautiful flowered plant. However within less than a month all the flowers wilted and died.

I watered it a bit every other day, and fertilized every second watering. I even trimmed it to encourage new buds. I finally (after three months or so) tossed it out and replaced it with few young Lisianthus (hopfully these will survive, I have my fingers crosses).

What did I do wrong? Was it too much sun? I had hung it about three feet from our front door, facing west -it only got partial shade from sunsise until 1PM, otherwise full sun. I live in zone 9-10 and it has been a very warm summer.

Positive Shelly221 On Jul 19, 2003, Shelly221 from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I let my petunia's seed last year, and literally just tossed the seeds around. They came up beautifully! I was shocked to see how easy it was! Neat little plant.

Neutral poppysue On Nov 29, 2001, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

Petunias are a favorite bedding annual that require little care and will bloom all summer long. They're an excellent choice for containers and hanging baskets. Balcony Mix is an old-fashioned variety that is sweetly fragrant.

Wiseman, Arkansas