PlantFiles: Silver Tansy
Tanacetum niveum 'Jackpot'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tanacetum (TAN-uh-SEE-tum) (Info)
Species: niveum (NIV-ee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Jackpot

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Silver/Gray
Aromatic

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By altagardener
Thumbnail #1 of Tanacetum niveum by altagardener

By dicentra63
Thumbnail #2 of Tanacetum niveum by dicentra63

By dicentra63
Thumbnail #3 of Tanacetum niveum by dicentra63

Positive dicentra63 On Jun 18, 2007, dicentra63 from West Valley City, UT (Zone 6b) wrote:

I got the seeds, the cultivar "Jackpot."

The adult plant grows to 2 feet high and across, blooming from late May to mid-June. The hundreds of white flowers look like baby's breath, so they form a wonderful backdrop to the other flowers in the garden.

Jackpot loves it hot and dry, so it's well-suited for Utah.

After blooming and going to seed, it's necessary to cut off the dead flowerheads and foliage down to the basal foliage, which has woody-ish stems. The foliage stays green throughout the winter.

It self-seeds well, and the adult plants usually last only three or four seasons.

Positive aasplus On Jun 11, 2005, aasplus from Lordstown, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

We have tried for 3 years to grow these plants and every time would hit the wrong time of the year to bloom and when they did bloom it was after time to sell. They seem easy to get started from seed in our inside growing area but not good in pots. This plant showed me what the problem was, last summer I saw it growing in our mum growing area and let it grow, it was about 8" tall then. It wintered over and after the snow cleared it was there again. It is now about 4' across and about 24" tall and just covered with the white daisy blooms, just like the picture and the reason I bought the seeds. They do seed themselves and I transplant the babies but now I know that they just need to be left alone. We irrigate our Mums where this plant is growing but there is weed mat down and the seed went between the mat and a support stake. It is taking up the space of about 9 Mums, we have not watered it at all since last fall when the Mums were done and it has never wilted, even with the 80 degree weather we have been having. I have found that nearly every stray seed that plants itself is a gift and I always let them grow unless I know it's a weed and they turn out to be the most beautiful give created. This is a true Jackpot at last.
This is a perennial and has lots of relatives including Feverfew but this is called Jackpot.

Salt Lake City, Utah