Lipstick Plant, Basketvine, Basket Vine 'Rasta'

Family: Gesneriaceae (ges-ner-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Aeschynanthus (es-kee-NAN-thus) (Info)
Cultivar: Rasta

Scarlet (Dark Red)

Hanford, California

Hayward, California

Deland, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida (2 reports)

On Feb 7, 2014, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

This not an ultra tender plant..,mine blooms outdoors in winter or summer. Not a heavy bloomer or large flowered lipstick plant..the total is nice. Easy to grow outdoors in the San Francisco bay area to be even more specific.

On Jun 14, 2011, mjsponies from DeLand/Deleon Springs, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I picked mine up off the 1/2 price rack at Lowes. It wasn't blooming at the time, but I thought the foliage was interesting and I've had good luck with my other Lipsticks blooming for me. And sure enough, I hung it where it gets very bright light, under a tree, and it's blooming now. I think one reason some folks don't have alot of success getting these to bloom is not enough light and possible overwatering. They like to dry out between waterings.

On Feb 15, 2011, kbaumle from Northwest, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I've had this plant for over a year and while it doesn't bloom much for me, the foliage is so interesting and beautiful. It stays healthy with a minimum of care and is fairly fast-growing. The blooms on mine are a deep plum color and don't occur often. They also aren't showy, due to their dark color. I'd highly recommend this plant for its low care and curly-leaved foliage.

EDIT: I actually think my cultivar is 'Twister', not 'Rasta', though they're similar.

On May 26, 2010, Kiyzersoze from Coral Springs, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I just reported that I have had success with this plant in my area. To say I have had success would be a stretch. Right after I purchased this plant I gave my Mother a few pieces and she "is having success" with this plant. I was told to hang it in indirect sun and leave it alone. So that's what I'm doing. Wish me luck!

On Sep 16, 2007, plantladylin from (Zone 1) wrote:

I love the looks of this Lipstick plant with it's krinkly/curly looking foliage. The flowers are an added bonus, it is very beautiful when in bloom!