PlantFiles: Bush Violet
Browallia viscosa

Genus: Browallia (bro-WAHL-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: viscosa (vis-KOH-suh) (Info)

Violet/Lavender
Purple

Positive annlof On May 31, 2010, annlof from Camarillo, CA wrote:

I've grown browallia speciosa "bells," browallia americana "blue lady" and browallia viscosa "amethyst" in my southern California garden. All are easy to start from seed. (Stokes Seeds is a good source.) Viscosa is the least showy of the three because the flowers, while numerous, are the smallest. They are a deep violet purple (not blue) with a white eye and the foliage is a handsome dark green. I found that this plant is tougher than the other browallias when it comes to standing up to the elements (i.e., sun, shade, drought, wind.) I think the best plants are grown in moist loamy soil in warm shade. Slugs nibbled at the seedlings, but once the plants got to be 3-4 inches tall, they left them alone. Unlike browallia americana, this plant doesn't flop. Germination and seedling development was slower than br. americana but faster than br. speciosa. I started my seeds too early and planted them out when it was still quite cool. The transplants weren't harmed, but just "sat there" until night temperatures got into the mid 50s, and then the plants took off.

Neutral poppysue On Sep 1, 2001, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

Grows 12-20 inches high with hairy foliage that is slightly sticky. The 3/4-inch wide flowers have a distinct white eye. Prefers a site in partial shade with plenty of moisture.

Camarillo, California