Brazoria Palmetto Palm, Texas Palmetto Palm 'Brazoria'

Sabal x brazoriensis

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sabal (SAY-bal) (Info)
Species: x brazoriensis
Cultivar: Brazoria

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Plainfield, Indiana

Devers, Texas

Lake Jackson, Texas

Richardson, Texas

On May 13, 2015, longjonsilverz from Centreville, MD wrote:

This palm is one of the survivors of the 2013-14 and 2014-15 winters for me. I have been growing a few different kinds of cold hardy palms here in East Maryland, and the last two winters have been the coldest in decades and many records were broken. Lows bottomed out around 5F for about 6 nights in a row in Feb 2015, and highs were below freezing for almost a month. Sabal Brazoria had some significant foliage damage, but quickly recovered in spring. It was also completely unprotected and exposed to the windchill which was -20F at its worst. The growth rate has been faster than sabal palmetto, minor, and louisiana for me. This is a great palm to try if you can find a place that sells them. The cold tolerance and faster growth rate is excellent.

The only other palms tha... read more

On Apr 15, 2013, bigthicket from Houston, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

So far my plant is surviving drought and frost (high 20's) without skipping a beat. New fronds coming up now (early April)

On Dec 15, 2011, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

Wow I know it is a native for me but wow ! it has the bluest fronds ever , and I get comments on it all the time !!! All my non native palms wither and die I was really mad about my washingtonias which thrived for over 4 years and this last year succumbed to a brutal winter . Here in Central Texas this palm thrives and looks great !! The ONLY other trunking palm that does awesome here is the California fan palm ! I have many trachycarpus but everyone has those so I am going with this and California fan palm as landscape material , Mexican fan palm just plain dies here even though it is rated hardy .

On Jul 23, 2011, SuburbanNinja80 from Plainfield, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought this type of palm and being a 7 gallon pot. This is a ture test of this palm to see if it can live here with little damage as possible. I have high hopes this palm can endured the winters we have up here. Clams that palms can live up here are profound, and people think your crazy in Indiana. I like to proof them completely wrong. Updates will be folding in the near future.
- insanepalmninja

Aug 5, 2011
I can't plant it until Next April but I have it in a very nice pot those 7 gallons of Pure Gold(when it comes to this Palm). But, i was looking at it was growing right before my eyes.

October, 16, 2011
I love this palm, It has A mild Case of slice but, am Maintaining it.

Dec 20, 2011
Every day this Palm looks... read more

On Mar 31, 2008, imcuban2 from Chicago, IL wrote:

Fast Grower!! Nice blueish color. Very cold hardy

On Oct 1, 2007, tropicsofohio from Hilliard, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

surprizingly hardy even when young, i bought it and transplanted twice and then was hit by +20F in early spring with no damage. this plant was bought as a 2 year old plant.

it has already weathered +7 F no protection ***with no damage***!!!!!!
slight discoloration after +1 F
After this winter, it lost two lower leaves, and the surviving leaves have about 50% damage. its still an exeptionally hardy palm, and should gain more cold tolerence as it gets bigger. I'm hoping this is a good growing season for the palm.
March '09
another success! about half green after -14F this one is a real trooper:)