PlantFiles: Brazoria Palmetto Palm, Texas Palmetto Palm
Sabal x brazoriensis 'Brazoria'

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sabal (SAY-bal) (Info)
Species: x brazoriensis
Cultivar: Brazoria

Palms

Blue-Green

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked
From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel
From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Thumbnail #1 of Sabal x brazoriensis by tropicsofohio

Thumbnail #2 of Sabal x brazoriensis by tropicsofohio

Thumbnail #3 of Sabal x brazoriensis by tropicsofohio

Thumbnail #4 of Sabal x brazoriensis by tropicsofohio

By imcuban2
Thumbnail #5 of Sabal x brazoriensis by imcuban2

Thumbnail #6 of Sabal x brazoriensis by tropicsofohio

Thumbnail #7 of Sabal x brazoriensis by tropicsofohio

Positive bigthicket On Apr 15, 2013, bigthicket from Houston, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

So far my plant is surviving drought and frost (high 20's) without skipping a beat. New fronds coming up now (early April)

Positive Sandwichkatexan On Dec 15, 2011, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

Wow I know it is a native for me but wow ! it has the bluest fronds ever , and I get comments on it all the time !!! All my non native palms wither and die I was really mad about my washingtonias which thrived for over 4 years and this last year succumbed to a brutal winter . Here in Central Texas this palm thrives and looks great !! The ONLY other trunking palm that does awesome here is the California fan palm ! I have many trachycarpus but everyone has those so I am going with this and California fan palm as landscape material , Mexican fan palm just plain dies here even though it is rated hardy .

Positive SuburbanNinja80 On Jul 23, 2011, SuburbanNinja80 from Plainfield, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought this type of palm and being a 7 gallon pot. This is a ture test of this palm to see if it can live here with little damage as possible. I have high hopes this palm can endured the winters we have up here. Clams that palms can live up here are profound, and people think your crazy in Indiana. I like to proof them completely wrong. Updates will be folding in the near future.
- insanepalmninja

Aug 5, 2011
I can't plant it until Next April but I have it in a very nice pot those 7 gallons of Pure Gold(when it comes to this Palm). But, i was looking at it was growing right before my eyes.

October, 16, 2011
I love this palm, It has A mild Case of slice but, am Maintaining it.

Dec 20, 2011
Every day this Palm looks better. Its a 10(18" pot) gallon Pot right now. Am going to move into the Ground and I have seeds and a seeding. I think this Palm is my Most Beloved of all my Sabal Palms.

This rare palm from Brazoria County, Texas, has been indentified by DNA in 2011 as an ancient hybrid between Sabal palmetto (above ground trunk) and Sabal minor (below ground trunk). Sabal 'Brazoria' is the hardiest of the trunked sabal palms, and should reach 20' tall with maturity. We have reports from Arkansas that these have sailed through a -15F winter. The giant, green, fan-shaped leaves are typical sabal foliage, but the growth rate in our trials has been twice that of Sabal minor. Our offerings are two to three-year-old seedlings. Because of the confusion with the name, Sabal x texensis, which is an old name for the less hardy Sabal mexican, a new name of Sabal x brazoriensis was published for this plant in 2011.

Positive imcuban2 On Mar 31, 2008, imcuban2 from Chicago, IL wrote:

Fast Grower!! Nice blueish color. Very cold hardy

Positive tropicsofohio On Oct 1, 2007, tropicsofohio from Hilliard, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

surprizingly hardy even when young, i bought it and transplanted twice and then was hit by +20F in early spring with no damage. this plant was bought as a 2 year old plant.

update:
it has already weathered +7 F no protection ***with no damage***!!!!!!
slight discoloration after +1 F
After this winter, it lost two lower leaves, and the surviving leaves have about 50% damage. its still an exeptionally hardy palm, and should gain more cold tolerence as it gets bigger. I'm hoping this is a good growing season for the palm.
March '09
another success! about half green after -14F this one is a real trooper:)

Plainfield, Indiana