Atlantic Poison Oak, Eastern Poison Oak
Toxicodendron pubescens

Family: Anacardiaceae (an-a-kard-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Toxicodendron (toks-ee-ko-DEN-dron) (Info)
Species: pubescens (pew-BES-senz) (Info)
Synonym:Rhus acutiloba
Synonym:Rhus toxicarium
Synonym:Rhus toxicodendron
Synonym:Toxicodendron quercifolium
Synonym:Toxicodendron toxicarium

Category:

Vines and Climbers

Foliage Color:

Unknown - Tell us

Bloom Characteristics:

Unknown - Tell us

Water Requirements:

Unknown - Tell us

Where to Grow:

Unknown - Tell us

Height:

6-8 ft. (1.8-2.4 m)

Spacing:

Unknown - Tell us

Hardiness:

USDA Zone 5a: to -28.8 C (-20 F)

USDA Zone 5b: to -26.1 C (-15 F)

USDA Zone 6a: to -23.3 C (-10 F)

USDA Zone 6b: to -20.5 C (-5 F)

USDA Zone 7a: to -17.7 C (0 F)

USDA Zone 7b: to -14.9 C (5 F)

USDA Zone 8a: to -12.2 C (10 F)

USDA Zone 8b: to -9.4 C (15 F)

USDA Zone 9a: to -6.6 C (20 F)

USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8 C (25 F)

Sun Exposure:

Sun to Partial Shade

Light Shade

Partial to Full Shade

Full Shade

Danger:

All parts of plant are poisonous if ingested

Handling plant may cause skin irritation or allergic reaction

Bloom Color:

Red-Orange

Bloom Time:

Unknown - Tell us

Foliage:

Deciduous

Other details:

Unknown - Tell us

Soil pH requirements:

Unknown - Tell us

Patent Information:

Unknown - Tell us

Propagation Methods:

Unknown - Tell us

Seed Collecting:

Unknown - Tell us

Regional

This plant has been said to grow in the following regions:

Alabaster, Alabama

Hampton, Illinois

Jacksonville, Illinois

Cumberland, Maryland

Greencastle, Pennsylvania

Gardeners' Notes:

0
positives
1
neutral
0
negatives
RatingContent
Neutral

On Aug 31, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Poison Oak and its Eastern counterpart Poison Ivy have leaves that are highly irritating for humans who make contact directly or indirectly with them. (The irritants do not seem to bother dogs, but petting an infected dog can lead to a rash.)

If you suspect you have touched poison oak, swab the area with rubbing alcohol as soon as possible; ideally within 10 minutes. This may prevent a rash from occurring.