PlantFiles: Ruellia, Wild Petunia
Ruellia elegans 'Ragin' Cajun'

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ruellia (roo-EL-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: elegans (ELL-eh-ganz) (Info)
Cultivar: Ragin' Cajun

Late Fall/Early Winter

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Thumbnail #1 of Ruellia elegans by Marilynbeth

By trackinsand
Thumbnail #6 of Ruellia elegans by trackinsand

By poisondartfrog
Thumbnail #7 of Ruellia elegans by poisondartfrog

Positive Sandwichkatexan On May 11, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

Purchased 20 of these this year . This is my first year growing them . Hopefully they will all come back next year . I put them in every flower bed as accents to yellow bush daisies . (euryops) . I want to attract as many hummingbirds as I can so between the new native honeysuckles , these , and the Uruguayan firecracker plants hopefully I will have a hummingbird sanctuary ! I was surprised how well they took the trip in the mail from the nursery . Not a single yellow leaf and a few of the plants had lots of blooms on them . If they are this tough they are sure to be garden stars this year .

Positive bubuli On Jan 23, 2011, bubuli from Cary, NC wrote:

great plant! loves heat and sun. gets over 3' tall here in Raleigh. blooms non-stop into hard frost. self-cleaning, too.

Positive docturf On Sep 7, 2008, docturf from Conway, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is my third year with a Ragin' Cajun and I can;t believe how many hummers are attracted to it. As an added benefit, it hangs over a Toad Flax plant which is a prolific bloomer and also a hummer attractant. I overwinter the Ragin Cajun in my house, but the Toad flax is left in the ground and does very well here in Coastal South Carolina. The combination of these 2 plants, plus a nearby liquid feeder has given my family much joy. Docturf (AND the hummers also!!). Docturf

Positive magpie38 On Sep 6, 2008, magpie38 from Houston, TX wrote:

Performed well in a NE facing bed where it got sun until ~2PM. Strangely, there is a branch of Ruellia brittoniana 'Katie' growing off the main stem. Unstable mutation?

Positive Birdmandan On May 25, 2008, Birdmandan from Cincinnati, OH wrote:

I picked up this plant last year, as a possible Hummingbird plant. I wasnt disappointed, it drew allot of hummers. I kept the seeds and planted them this year but not a single plant came up[:( I did manage to keep one of the plants alive from last year. I placed it near a south facing window and it made it. The local greenhouse where I purchased the plant last year dosent have them this year.

Dan

Positive Marilynbeth On Nov 19, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

I bought 2 plants of 'Ragin' Cajun' Ruellia for the first time this Spring and put them in 2 different containers. Love it! Beautiful color and flower!

If I find it next year, I'm going to get one or two plants again.

Positive pbtxlady On Jul 9, 2005, pbtxlady from Garland, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I just bought a red ruellia labeled 'Ragin' Cajun', to go with my Katie's Blue. Don't know much about it yet, but it sure is pretty. So far it's having no problem with the Dallas heat, even though it's only been in the ground a week.

Seale, Alabama
Cary, North Carolina
Camden, South Carolina
Sumter, South Carolina
Aransas Pass, Texas
Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Belton, Texas