PlantFiles: Sweet Orange
Citrus sinensis 'Trovita'

Family: Rutaceae (roo-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Citrus (SIT-rus) (Info)
Species: sinensis (sy-NEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Trovita

Thumbnail #2 of Citrus sinensis by DrDoolotz

Thumbnail #3 of Citrus sinensis by DrDoolotz

Thumbnail #4 of Citrus sinensis by DrDoolotz

Thumbnail #5 of Citrus sinensis by DrDoolotz

Neutral belladoll On Mar 28, 2011, belladoll from San Clemente, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Help, I just planted a Trovita' sweet orange tree, about 1/2 of the leaves fell off. I planted it in a potting soil with added Perlite for drainage and a little citrus food. It still have blossoms. The planting soil did have some fertilizer in it. Did I over fertilize? What should I do? Replant it? and start over with the soil?, it was expensive and I don't want it to Die. It is in a 22 inch wide at the top of a painted wooden pot which is 36 inches high. The tree is a 5 gallon. I live in San Clemente, Calif, which is about 1/4 mile from the coast. Anyone with any information would be helpful. Thank You

Positive DrDoolotz On Mar 9, 2008, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

I purchased my Trovita orange from Four Winds Citrus. I am very pleased with it. It flowers well and makes fruits. I put it outside in approximately May and bring it inside for the winter before the frosts come. It does perfectly well as an indoor plant as long as it is carefully watered and cared for. The flowers smell fabulous.

Positive desertgardener7 On Feb 11, 2008, desertgardener7 from Maricopa, AZ wrote:

Trovita does amazingly well in the Phoenix area too. Perfect for the long desert summer and winter night time chill. Also, it's a vigorous variety compared to the common navels, and late navels in our area. The oranges are somewhat smaller, nevertheless the tree produces in abundance. I have one in my backyard that is about 3 years old and has survived a few episodes of light frost and one major freeze without any considerable damage! I live in the Phoenix metro area, however I am on the edge of town and do not benefit much from the heat island effect which allows gardeners in proper Phoenix to grow pretty much whatever they want without worry of frost damage!

Positive spidra On Sep 27, 2007, spidra from Berkeley, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I purchased "Trovita" because it was recommended as a variety that would do well for those in coastal climes of the SF Bay Area. It doesn't need heat to sweeten its fruit the way that many other sweet oranges do. Oddly enough, it was developed as a selection for growing in the high heat areas of the desert.

Maricopa, Arizona