PlantFiles: Poet's Jasmine, Common Jasmine
Jasminum officinale

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Jasminum (JAZ-mih-num) (Info)
Species: officinale (oh-fiss-ih-NAH-lee) (Info)

Synonym:Jasminum grandiflorum
Synonym:Jasminum officinale var. grandiflorum
Synonym:Jasminum officinale var. affine
Synonym:Jasminum affine

Aromatic

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting
By simple layering
By serpentine layering

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

By eltel

Thumbnail #5 of Jasminum officinale by bonitin

Thumbnail #6 of Jasminum officinale by bonitin

By Gardening_Jim
Thumbnail #7 of Jasminum officinale by Gardening_Jim

Positive brugmaniac1 On Aug 4, 2013, brugmaniac1 from Lititz, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I live near Lancaster, Pa., zone 6b/7a. I have had this plant for 4 years now. It is EXTREMELY hardy for me. I say 6b/7a because of the microclimate that it planted in. It is very fragrant!

Positive stephenp On Sep 12, 2012, stephenp from Wirral, UK, Zone 9a
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

A climber which quickly creates a quite cover over walls, trellises and other means of supporting its growth. I can't say about other parts of the UK, but here J. officinale is used quite alot.. it flowers much less prolifically that J. polyanthum

The scent of the flower tends to be pleasant rather than overpowering.

Neutral silkenquill On May 7, 2012, silkenquill from Virginia Beach, VA wrote:

I need to know whether this plant produces berries - there is one comment that says it does not yet there is mention of a seedhead. Thanks.

Positive otorongo On Jan 21, 2012, otorongo from London
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant is evergreen here. Out of the 3 plants I have, the one that gets the most sun looks the happiest (but bear in mind, London is not the sunniest place on Earth). It attracts ladybugs.

Positive Tropicalnikko On Sep 11, 2011, Tropicalnikko from Brisbane bayside
Australia (Zone 11) wrote:

This jasmine is a favourite. It flowers densely in late winter to early spring. The scent fills the house as I have it outside front door. Such a shame it doesn't flower all year as the scent is so nice.

Grows in part sun here as it can't take the full mid day sun in Brisbane as it's far to intense. It loves morning or afternoon sun.

Neutral LovelyFlowers On Jun 8, 2007, LovelyFlowers from Las Vegas, NV (Zone 8b) wrote:

I recently purchased literally two leaves of Jasminum Officinale with healthy roots. I potted them in a 4inch pot and some branches have already started to dry out. The climate here in Las Vegas is hot and dry. I plan on babying them for a while in hope that they will do well in my climate. I do plan to plant them outside in the yard eventually. Has anyone in this area had good luck with this plant?

Positive bluespiral On Oct 16, 2006, bluespiral from (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant's ability to winter over here in zone 7a without protection since the 90s has been a wonderful surprise.

To qualify "without protection", let me say that I stuck its roots (which a neighbor literally yanked out of the ground on his side of the hedge and handed them to me with their bare roots exposed to air) on either side of a gate in a yew hedge. It could be that the yew protects the jasmine from winter extremes. Our neighbor grew his through a weigela shrub. Our jasmine mingles with Rosa 'Alberic Barbier' and Clematis 'Max Ernst' above the yew (with a groundcover of cream/gray-green variegated periwinkle under the yew), and only becomes apparent when your nose catches an enchanting whif in June when you've forgotten it's there.

This plant is said to be hardy as far north as Philadelphia.

Positive txsdar On Mar 11, 2005, txsdar from Harper, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I live about 60 miles NW of San Antonio. I have had this plant outside my kitchen window for3 yrs now. I do cover it in Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb with plastic. It is 6 ft high on a trellis and I have to keep cutting it back. So far so good.

Positive broozersnooze On Aug 10, 2003, broozersnooze from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Highly recommend this plant to anyone. Some was already well established on the front fence when I moved into my home. In late spring & summer, with my windows open & the gentlest breeze, the fragrance of the blooms fill my home. This experience has become one of the fondest memories for me & my family from living here.
This has made me a definite fan of Jasmine & now collect all the different varieties. Each one in a different place in my yard - on lattice outside a bedroom window, privacy fence, arbor, lattice on my back porch, lattice on my downstairs deck etc. Most varieties have little white flowers that look like pin wheels - a favorite childhood toy.
There are some bush varieties which make excellent potted plants which I keep in very large planters on my upstairs deck.
So far it has tolerated most of the freezes here in Jacksonville - most without any apparent damage. We've only had one freeze I can remember where it died back miserably & I just knew it was all gone. But with the warmth of the spring, I noticed green sprigs unfolding from the ground as I was removing the dead branches. This particular time I had spread quilts & blankets over it to try to protect it from the freeze. Since then I never cover it. I've noticed it seems to fare the weather much better that way for some unknown reason.

Positive lupinelover On Aug 9, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Very easy to grow container plant for cold-winter climates. It is easy to root cuttings in the fall, and set them out in the spring for blooming plants by mid-summer.

Neutral jody On Aug 31, 2001, jody from MD &, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Star shaped flowers, dark green foliage, very fragrant.

Glendale, Arizona