PlantFiles: Honeysuckle
Lonicera caprifolium

Family: Caprifoliaceae (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info) (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lonicera (luh-NIS-er-a) (Info)
Species: caprifolium (kap-rih-FOH-lee-um) (Info)

By dave

Thumbnail #6 of Lonicera caprifolium by estuardo

By carambola
Thumbnail #7 of Lonicera caprifolium by carambola

Positive Daffodill3263 On Dec 17, 2013, Daffodill3263 from Stigler, OK wrote:

I have honeysuckle growing on my fence, and I personally love this plant, I look forward to the scent in Spring.I I would love to find out how to make perfume from Honeysuckle. Plus for me it makes a great privacy vine, I love drying the flowers, and this plant stays green in winter another positive for me. I also like the nectar, it is sweet and very tasty.

Negative miksgirl On Apr 29, 2008, miksgirl from Wollongong
Australia wrote:

Here in NSW, Australia this plant is a big pest. It grows quickly to cover and then destroy fences pulling them apart.

Its roots expand and push up paving, retaining walls and anything it gets near. It kills everything it grows near or on. Anywhere it's vines touch the ground they put down roots and when trimming it you have to make sure you pick up all pieces or they will grow too.
The worst is nothing kills it , not even straight round up plant killer/weeder.

It is growing on a fence about 11/2 metres from a pool and has caused problems with the pool, the tropical garden that used to be there, the retaining wall, and the paving around the pool and the pump house.

It has even felled a huge coral tree that trimmings took shoot under. It has to be trimmed every week to stop it getting into anything else but apart from digging up roots and chopping them off there is no controlling this plant without removing everything it is under or wrapped around.

Positive drumlin On Mar 11, 2008, drumlin from Rockport, ME (Zone 5b) wrote:

I didn't even know you could grow honeysuckle in the North until I saw a huge semi-wild colony of it in Guilford, on the Connecticut shoreline. It was growing up some old fence posts on a commercial property, and smelled just heavenly! Although hearty, it didn't appear to have wondered very far. I guess it might just depend on the zone its growing in. I bought some for my own yard last year in an even colder zone, but it hasn't done all that well, so I'm going to move it into more sun and baby it a bit more. I may regret the indulgence, not sure yet! But I think the scent is just worth any over-enthusiastic growth.

Positive Opoetree On May 23, 2007, Opoetree from Oak View, CA wrote:

I have had this plant growing every place that I have lived -- Shafter, Ventura, and Oak View California. I have always liked its light sweet scent and used to suck the nectar from the flowers as a child. I even had a bunch of honeysuckle as part of a floral arrangement at my wedding 30 years ago. Now, it grows along a fence border and has even climbed part way up into a live oak tree. It is also decorating a telephone pole in my backyard. It is a thriving plant...giving no trouble, but only a living fence with lovely blossoms to enjoy almost year-round.

Positive TBGDN On Feb 11, 2006, TBGDN from Macy, IN wrote:

As a flowering vine enthusiast I've always admired this plant. I can remember driving through the southern states in early summer and seeing it growing wild and smelling its heady fragrance. I had never seen (or paid attention) to it growing in my area (Zone 5a/b) until I saw it covering an old fence on a neighbor's property. I dug rooted 'starts' from the fence row, and transplanted them around my tool shed which is surrounded with treated lattice. From what I've read this is not a native American vine, but came from Japan originally, and was known as 'Halls Honeysuckle' or 'Lonicera halliana'. Whatever the matter, it is a beautiful climbing vine, and is not as invasive as in the southern states. I keep in in check by running a push lawnmower around the tool shed with the blade set low. This seems to keep it growing 'up', not 'out'. Hummingbirds and bees are strongly attracted to it.

Positive IWVmatt On Jan 5, 2006, IWVmatt from Ridgecrest, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I love this plant. I have it growing on the northside of my house so it doesnt get full sun, but it still grows good. Plenty of fragrant flowers. This year im gonna get some cuttings off of it and hopefully plant some in other places

Negative Breezymeadow On Dec 12, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Although summer wouldn't be summer without nights filled with its heavenly scent, I prefer to enjoy that scent as far away from my house & gardens as possible.

Strongly invasive barely describes this plant's tenaciousness. After 8 full years of pulling, digging, RoundUping, etc., I STILL have it poking up & around my deck & doing it's best to strangle kinder plants.

While the flowers do draw bees & hummingbirds, & the berries provide winter wildlife food, this plant is best used - or left - to it's own devices in the wild rather than given an invitation to join any garden parties.

Positive CastIronPlant22 On Dec 11, 2005, CastIronPlant22 from Lompoc, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Here in California i see it alot planted in groups. Here where i live, in the Apt. complex we have a lot of it around. It blooms often and does send lots of new shoots out and has to be trimmed often, but it always seems to look somewhat decent. The kids here (gawd they are awful) like the run through it, or just pull the flowers off and also like to pull the long stems off and tear them to pieces. But the bush seems to take the damage and look good. It doesnt look all ratty and tacky like other plants/bushes would where young children live and play. I wouldnt grow it in my garden or yard, but it seems to be doing good here in the Apt. complex.

Positive forsythso On Jul 8, 2005, forsythso from Dahlonega, GA wrote:

I have had ths plant around me most of my life living in southern Louisiana and enjoyed it's sweet fragrance. It was easily controlled with the lawn mower and weed-eater and kept to the thicket that it originated from growing wild. We have now moved to north Georgia and have encountered it again growing wild and love that sweet smell as I walk to the car or sit on the porch in the mornings.
I recently harvested a thick rooted piece growing up a guy wire on a telephone pole and planted it in a long window box planter with a simple mixture of 15% pine bark mulch and 85% top soil rich garden mixture. Two weeks later new leaf growth sprouted and grows more every day.
The woody part sloughs off the old bark in long paper like tendrils and if you peel enough off to expose a little bit of the green flesh and turn it towards the sun a new leaf bud will form there about 3 times out of 5. I'm hoping to make this one into a bonsai.
Wish me luck.

Positive JaxFlaGardener On Apr 28, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I had never noticed how sweet is the fragrance of this honeysuckle until I caught a whiff of its aroma yesterday from a large collection of its flowering vines along my fence at the back of my property. I haven't found the need to fight it as it stays along the fence line and helps cover what would otherwise be a drab wooden fence.

Positive love2grow On Apr 27, 2005, love2grow from League City, TX wrote:

I have planted honeysuckle up the side of our trampoline. It seems to love growing on the safety net. I frequently prune and guide it to keep it from getting too heavy in any single area, but it's worth the effort because it makes the trampoline look so pretty instead of being an eyesore.

Positive Sarastre On Apr 17, 2005, Sarastre from Chicago, IL wrote:

Could the excessive vigor of this plant be less of a problem, at the northern range of its hardiness? During an early October cold spell (it did not freeze), I obtained two semi-hardwood cuttings from a specimen growing, with an evergreen, in a large, above-ground cement planter. The effect of such siting would be to reduce the hardiness zone by about one -- the location was not particularly sheltered. Though the optimal time to take such cuttings was long gone, I found that mass-market materials (rooting hormone, Jiffy Pots kept evenly moist) yielded 100% success in less than a month. I now have two small plants to set out on a porch that receives morning sun, as the cuttings easily endured the past winter on a window sill, albeit with careful watering . (I removed only a few bottom leaves prior to preparing these cuttings, which I did not enclose while rooting.) And I let the cuttings sit in a vase of water for a week before finding the time to pot them up, which does suggest that this vine can run amok, under less stressful conditions. Flowering may well take time, but I find the rich brown of the twigs and the bluish-green cast of the attractively-shaped leaves good enough to start.

Positive vossner On Jan 24, 2005, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Never ceases to amaze me how someone will find find a certain plant invasive and then it will be OK somewhere else. For me, honeysuckle is a lovely, controlled vine. I have it growing up two oak trees that are about 15 ft apart. Two years ago DH bridged the two trees with a landscape timber and the honeysuckle grew on that. Now I have a honeysuckle arbor kinda thing. Soooo lovely. I do light pruning, but like I said, there is just not much to fight. Area is part sun.

Positive trois On Jul 2, 2004, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

My wife and I love this plant. It covers unsightly fences, old tree stumps, brush piles and is easily removed from places you don't want it. Ours blooms year round and we have had no insect problems with it. The blooms slow in winter,but don't stop. The smell is great, not as good as Chinese Tallow trees, which in the spring overwhelms every thing else. We also have a couple of different, wild types near the Bayou. A wonderful plant.

Trois

Positive frostweed On Jul 1, 2004, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

It is a rampant grower but it can be controlled by pruning and the scent is heavenly. I do not have any problems with insects on this plant, perhaps because it is in full sun.

Neutral JenniferG On Jun 30, 2004, JenniferG from Shalimar, FL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Love the scent. Grows on trellises here. I have clematis and roses growing with it. I prune hard in the winter. It has stayed put, but sends up lots of new growth all the time. I just wack it back!

Neutral chicochi3 On Jun 30, 2004, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have to say that I love the scent, but this plant is so invasive I'm not certain the lovely scent is worth the trouble of fighting it. i have found it necessary to use herbicides in some places to keep in down.

Negative Maudie On Apr 15, 2004, Maudie from Harvest, AL wrote:

I have to give this vine a negative rating because here in the South it is
definitely invasive and so much so it is practically indestructable. I continue to wage a fighting battle against it which only seems to encourage it. Never let this get estabished where you want
to grow anything else.

Negative Eirlys On May 28, 2003, Eirlys from Hamilton, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have a honeysuckle vine growing in a courtyard garden (in Hamilton, Ontario) which is protected on four sides and open to the sky. The vine flowers wonderfully, but has a dreadful attraction for aphids. This year, I sprayed with a dormant spray (on the recommendation of a local expert), but found aphids alive and well, yesterday. I trimmed off the worst affected stems, and sprayed the rest with detergent and water. I am determined to keep this vine, as it is adding a marvelous accent to its location in the garden.

Neutral Chamma On May 26, 2003, Chamma from Tennille, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I grew up in the woods of MIDDLE Georgia where this grew all in the woods and along fences...The smell would be heady and as kids we used to pull the stamen from the bottom and lick the "honey" off....
It is a real challenge to get it to grow in Dubai UAE (zone 11)...it likes wet feet and dappled sunlit in order to bloom...if the soil has too much saline it will die!

Neutral arkiedee On Mar 3, 2003, arkiedee from Mabelvale, AR (Zone 7b) wrote:

If it weren't for the fact that the whole fence comes alive with the hummingbirds in this stuff, I'd hate it. I asked an elderly gardening friend how to get rid of it. He said, "Move."

Neutral jody On Aug 31, 2001, jody from MD &, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Flowers summer, berries autumn. Very fragrant, produces cream white to yellow flowers flusshed with pink. Berries are orange red.

Jones, Alabama
Cranston, Rhode Island
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
Tiverton, Rhode Island
North Augusta, South Carolina
Summerville, South Carolina (2 reports)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Lenoir City, Tennessee
Middleton, Tennessee
Arlington, Texas
Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Carrollton, Texas