Cucumber
Cucumis sativus 'Japanese Long'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: sativus (sa-TEE-vus) (Info)
Cultivar: Japanese Long

Grand Rapids, Michigan

Ozark, Missouri

Vancouver, Washington

On Jul 19, 2011, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I also ordered a pack of these from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, and planted an 8' long row on a 5' tall fence. This is a GREAT cucumber variety - to the point that I may never plant any other.

The vines are compact and don't try to spread away from the fence panel, and the cukes are crisp and green inside even when they're 18"-20" long. The flavor is mild and very good, the skins are thin and easy to peel, and the seeds don't get large even if they're left too long before picking. The cukes are also burpless.

These are tremendously productive. I've supplied three families with lots and lots of cukes AND canned 23 quarts of crisp pickles off this one 8' row. There's not one negative thing about this cucumber variety - it's all good!

On Apr 22, 2008, nolabug from New Orleans, LA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I ordered seed for this plant from Heirloom Seeds. I can't say enough good things about it so far. It was direct-seeded approximately 7 weeks ago (in late February, Zone 9) and is now 6 foot plus tall, vining easily and beautifully up bamboo poles. I have yet to collect the first ripe cucs but there are easily a dozen 7 to 8 inchers and they are clearly not done growing. The plant itself is much more beautiful than other cucumber plants I have grown in the past and remarkably disease free so far. The leaves are larger and darker and so far the plant is much more of a straight viner, with more height and fewer offshoots which makes for a tidy garden. I will update once I get a taste.