Informal Decorative Dahlia 'Hamari Gold'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dahlia (DAHL-ya) (Info)
Cultivar: Hamari Gold
Hybridized by Ensum
Registered or introduced: 1984
» View all varieties of Dahlias

Flower Size:

Large - 8 to 10 inches (200 to 250 mm) diameter

This plant is resistant to deer

Flowers are good for cutting

Frankfort, Kentucky

Doylestown, Pennsylvania

On Jun 26, 2014, lancer23 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

This is a very large dahlia for me, 7-12 in across almost a dinner plate. I plant it next to my pergola so it got something to lean against for support. Very tall, chin high, color of lions mane--orange blend. I've been growing it for the last 3 yrs. Its only getting better each yr. It doesn't last as long as other dahlia in the vase because of its gigantic size. It last very long on the plant 2 weeks plus for each bloom. So I let it stay on the plant to enjoy the bloom. While other dahlia got chew up by earwigs and slugs this one they don't touch. It also doesn't mind the terrible soil I put it in.

On Sep 30, 2013, goulot from Canton, MI wrote:

These (three tubers) came as a bonus with an order of perennials from Holland Bulb Farm. Fortunately, I still had room to plant them (most of my other dahlias were grown from seed). They did not need staking (at least not in my garden). We had lots of rain this year, and I had used polymer water-crystals so that not much additional watering was needed.

The flowers are about 4" across, without disbudding. The stems are thick making it easy to slit them under the flower head so as to allow the water to go up inside the stem; treated that way, they last four or five days (I do not change the water every day, but I put them in the fridge at night). The flower stems are not very long; you will need a vase that is not too tall but wide at the base to balance the bouquet. <... read more