PlantFiles: Informal Decorative Dahlia
Dahlia 'Hamari Gold'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dahlia (DAHL-ya) (Info)
Cultivar: Hamari Gold

Pruning:
Disbud

Blue-Green
Veined

This plant is resistant to deer
Flowers are good for cutting

By RosinaBloom
Thumbnail #1 of Dahlia  by RosinaBloom

Positive goulot On Sep 30, 2013, goulot from Canton, MI wrote:

These (three tubers) came as a bonus with an order of perennials from Holland Bulb Farm. Fortunately, I still had room to plant them (most of my other dahlias were grown from seed). They did not need staking (at least not in my garden). We had lots of rain this year, and I had used polymer water-crystals so that not much additional watering was needed.

The flowers are about 4" across, without disbudding. The stems are thick making it easy to slit them under the flower head so as to allow the water to go up inside the stem; treated that way, they last four or five days (I do not change the water every day, but I put them in the fridge at night). The flower stems are not very long; you will need a vase that is not too tall but wide at the base to balance the bouquet.

I like these so much that I plan to dig up the tubers and save them for next year.

Note: They bloomed before the Japanese-beetle season was over. None of the Hamari Gold flowers were affected; the beetles prefer dark red flowers (e.g. the Hansa roses, red dahlias) and white or blush-colored flowers. Next year, if I want red dahlias I will plant them a little later, so they will bloom after I have drowned the last beetle.

Frankfort, Kentucky